PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
My post is not about politics. I am just stating my euphoria over a recent comment.
My wife's sister wrote a detailed letter to her family and friends stating that she no longer wants to associate with anyone, friends and family, including my wife and me, because our opinions due not reflect her beliefs. She went on to say that she now feel liberated for telling us.
My wife told me to keep my mouth shut and not reply to her, and I will not, I will honor my wife's request. However, I did tell my wife.
"DAMN! Do you know how good I feel about this? That I don't have to associate with them anymore. I'm the one who feels liberated."
And then I drank half a bottle of bourbon and smoked my pipe till my tongue felt like sandpaper. The celebration was well worth it.

rodbuster3

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2016
Sounds good for you. Its a shame when people cant Debate there beliefs and opinions with out fracturing relationships and not be overbearing

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Happy for you, but sad for your wife. The fact that her sister would abandon family over differing beliefs is the most reprehensible behavior I can imagine.

I was raised to believe that family is sacred.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've seen a lot of this happening around me. I can't say I'm happy to see people insulating themselves against others who merely hold differing opinions about politics,especially when it happens to people who formerly enjoyed each other's company. This is a trend that's been picking up steam over the years. People even move to areas where like minded people live. I wish we could all live together in bad times and in good. We should be able to have conversations about religion and politics without feeling threatened or threatening others. It's really not hard to find common ground and acknowledge the concerns and others.
On the other hand, if you already had reasons to break off communications, politics might be as good as excuse as any other :D

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I agree with Tuold. He and I live in the PNW. It is pretty divided here. Condolences to the wife. It will be hard on her down the road.
My cousin that I have not talked to in 3 years texted me the night before the election. He is 39 years old. He told me his mother, my aunt, was furious and not talking to him because of who he was voting for. It was sad.
We need to build a bridge. Fences just block off communication and lead to further divide.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I've seen a lot of this happening around me. I can't say I'm happy to see people insulating themselves against others who merely hold differing opinions about politics

agreed. I don't really understand it either. Most of my family and most of my poker buddies hold the opposite opinion than I do when it comes to politics. Listening to each other and realizing that good people you care about have well reasoned points behind their opinions (even if we don't agree in the end) is the only way we'll all stop seeing people with opposing views as evil cartoons. IMHO ....off the soapbox for now

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Unfortunately it happens. My older brother changed into someone I never thought he could be. He married his wife and slowly she warped him and manipulated him and turned him against his own mother and family. We tried reconciling, but it was short lived and have vitually no contact. Worst part is how his children pay for this, by not really knowing their grandparents or myself the way they should.

aam79

Lurker
Nov 2, 2016
It is pretty sad to see this kind of things happening. I just don't understand how it has gotten to this. I guess you can blame the internet / social media, but in the end it still comes down to the person. The reaction people are having to this election is just insane, very intelligent people that are close to me are like turning into infants. We better get this crap under control or this country is going to find itself in some real trouble.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Whew. I thought that this was a post about Nudists who feel liberated!
You can pick your nose...you can pick your seat...but, you can't pick your relatives.
Family estrangement can be very painful, & unfortunately permanent. Give it time for cooler heads to prevail. Reconciliation may be possible.
Two things to consider:

Words are like bullets which once past the lips find their mark & can do irreparable damage.

As soon as you realize that you are correct during a disagreement or argument, apologize.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
My sister is visiting me.She voted one way.I voted the other.I think I was right,but time will tell. We've had some friendly discussions about it.We're family though and our friendship remains as strong as ever.I'm sure it will stay that way.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's why I keep my mouth shut. If I talk about politics or "religion" to one half of my family it would be a tense moment.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I know exactly how you feel, I do not associate my my oldest brother anymore. This is because he has turned into a real POS, and I can't take his lies, thefts, and general BS any longer. It is a very sad thing, but I know the feeling when you just say enough! It's like a huge weight has been removed. However I am a huge family person and many of the members don't agree on certain things, thats whats make us fun. But when someone (like my brother) disrespects the family, its time for them to go.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Maybe she just needed a safe space where tolerance flows freely, as long as she is unconditionally right all of the time.
But seriously, support your wife through this because it's hard losing a sibling to this sort of ignorance. Maybe one day she'll come around and realize that cutting everyone off wasn't the best thing to do, especially before the holidays.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I going be to the second ass(because somebody needs to put a certain putz in his place) Progressivism is a religion.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
It's a sad day when anyone loses a family member when it's avoidable ie not death.
Second of all I don't get this whole ridiculous leftist view that being proud of what nation you live in is a crime. I don't want to get political just stating that I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.