PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandCobFog

Lurker
Feb 28, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
Good evening fellow pipers. I was just sitting down with the wife to a cup of tea as we wind down for the night. It's a licorice flavored tea and I thought wow this would be great in a tobacco. I have some Sutliff great outdoors and while it is growing on me I still can't taste the licorice in it. I can smell it but no taste what so ever. Now maybe it's just because I'm still so new to this. Anyway a question. Is there any other blends out there the have a strong licorice characteristic to them?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Pick up a bottle of Seedman’s TOB515 Black Licorice at http://www.seedman.com/flavor.htm

They say it imparts a woody, licorice note to tobacco. Let us know if it’s true!

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I make my own dip. To it I add some cocoa and then spritz it with anise oil. It tastes exactly like black licorice!

You can use either star anise or "real" anise. They both contain about the same amount of anethol which is the chemical that gives you the licorice flavor. I have not tried spritzing any pipe tobacco but I will in the near future. Three Nuns (back in the 70's) used to add anethol to their mix.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Braumiester:
This question seems to come up fairly regularly. A search for "anise" and "licorice" should bring up a recent thread or two.
Bob

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Though I've never had any, Uhle's Crushed White Burley is supposed to have a bit of a licorice taste to it, and it's supposed to be very good.

It is on my list of blends to try.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Yes "anise" as stated above is what gives pipe tobacco the licorice flavor without heavy casing. I would like to try others but my favorite blend at this point by far is Tewsbury Nosferatu. It's a nice English/Lat with a hint of anise. Love it.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
A quick fix/hint of anise that you could likely find easily is Half and Half. It isn't terribly pronounced and there are a couple of other flavors in there, but it would probably go nicely with your licorice tea.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I get a little licorice from Sutliff's Great Outdoors. I really surprised me. I'm not a big aro smoker, but always have some in

rotation to set off the non-flavored blends. When I was in grade school, my dad showed us how we could buy licorice root

from our local (old time) pharmacist and chew it like candy. You just wore out the root and discarded the over-chewed

shreds. It was primitive in a really good way.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
Try Tewksbury and company Chicago or Nosferatu. Both of those have anise. Wish I have some Absinthe right now. Jade 1901 is in the liquor cabinet waiting for me.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Almost all lat blends goes great with licorice tea.I don't think you'll ever find a blend that will give you the flavor of the tea, but for me latakia certainly brings out the best in licorice tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.