PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I remember this thread with a post by Cosmic that really made me laugh...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/hot-water-wash#post-1195014
Just dry the pipe well. I'm sure it will be fine. Your pipe is not dead. No worries :puffpipe:

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
My opinion: it isn't ruined. Let it dry out, perhaps help it along with some pipe cleaners and paper towel, and continue to enjoy it for years to come.
Hotly debated on the forum is whether it is okay to regularly clean briar pipes with hot water.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I suppose I forgot the 3 rules for pipes. Never let it see direct sunlight, never load it after midnight and never allow it to get wet.

2851133961d1f74131dbde291bcf80bb.jpg

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
STOP! Your pipe is now in a state of flux. Put it down slowly. The water could well have effected the dylithum crystals in the fibers causeing a very unstable condition. I would suggest packing it carefully in bubble wrap and sending it to me for proper neutralization and disposal. If I can save just one life.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
"I can't wait for the "Is a Cob better than a Meer" thread tomorrow"
That or "what kind of tamper should I use"

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Depends on the water. Did you drop it in a toilet, swimming pool, ocean, lake, river, stream, pond, puddle or down a well? Need specific details.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On one of these pipes overboard discussions, someone pointed out that briar is submerged multiple times in being carved and finished. With any wood product, you don't want to soak it. But falling in the water or going under a faucet will have substantially no effect. Recently, after reading similar advice on Forums, I ran my first Meerschaum, an estate pipe from fish'n'banjo, under the tap to clear out the bowl and shank. Later after I'd cleaned it up, bowl and stem, I took it to the local independent pipe shop and mentioned its bath. The assistant to the owner scoffed and scorned, as if I'd made a terrible blunder. Bolstered by other information, I just talked right past him, and the owner overhearing, also dropped the subject. In knowledge is power! The Meer smokes great, quite spiffy and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.