PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I don't know what it is about my cobs but it seems every time I reach for a pipe to smoke, my hand is inevitably drawn to one of my cobs.

Don't get me wrong, I have some very nice briar, but for some reason I always find myself sitting in my garage and quietly smoking a cob. I am particular to my Diplomat, Country Gentleman and Mark Twain. In fact I like them so much that I recently purchased another Diplomat and CG. I smoke them all in rotation. Maybe it's the intrinsic economy of the pipes themselves that appeals to me. Doing more with what is often perceived as less? I don't know and I'm not trying to start an argument but at the moment, while peace of mind for anyone this day and age is a highly sought after condition; I find that when the dust settles and cob is in hand, that content and peace settle in and as a great individual said many, many, years ago, "What ever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul."

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
What is it? I will try to answer that. They are great. My fav is the CG and second the Diplomat. I buy the seconds to try different blends in, I feel the cobs give a cleaner taste. I love them and have 7 one my table in the garage. Other than using me meer at present, the cobs and just a great, inexpensive pipe that never lets you down.

mrkeys

Lurker
Aug 16, 2015
I'll preface this by saying that I only have a single briar pipe (so cobs are necessary to have any sort of rotation) and I'm still in the early stages of finding what tobaccos I like, but the biggest draw to me is the fact that I can treat it purely as a tool. I know many suggest that they needn't be seen as disposable, but with their price its not the end of the world if one is damaged. If I try something horrid/overly perfumed and it ghosts the pipe or I do something silly it isn't an issue. Hell, the bottom fell out of my first cob after a couple of smokes and it didn't phase me.

If a pipe is of significant value and I chose it largely based on the way it looks, then I'm going to save it until I know what I like and I'm going to treat it with care.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Mc, I don't really know. My thread was only meant that at the current place I am at in the pipe smoking space/time continuum, I enjoy my cobs.

Nothing more than that.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Same here. My cobs get a lot more use than my briars. I love them. BUT, I have to say my favorite pipe is a briar.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Glad you're enjoying your Cobs brother ... happy smokes! :puffy:
Edit: long time no see Min ... welcome back!

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
I too reach for my cobs a lot. My favorite being the Rob Roy, it seems they may have been discontinued because I just checked out MM's site and it's not there.

I don't really care for my Patriot, it just doesn't smoke the way the Rob Roy does. Also I think it turned me off from the cobs with a finish, though I enjoyed the Country Gentleman.

I think from now on I'm going to stick with the unfinished cobs.

I'm placing an order with SPC shortly and I have a Mark Twain in my basket.

Oh and of course I have a Forever Stem CobWarden, that's either a Washington or a Legend I'm unsure.
I don't think liking cobs would make someone a Cob Snob, maybe if they acted all haughty about it lol

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
the Rob Roy, it seems they may have been discontinued because I just checked out MM's site and it's not there.
That's a bowl option for a couple different models ... Washington and Legend, I believe.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Nothing wrong with that. I'm a big believer in buying whatever pipe or tobacco you like and smoking the heck out of it. It's all about what brings enjoyment to YOU!! :puffy:

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
A good cob is a treasure. They smoke cool and with generally low prices there's no tears to be shed if you lose one here and there. I am looking at getting the MacArthur if for nothing more than an occasional smoke in the workshop. Try some PA vanilla in a cob!

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Thanks cobguy, I get my cobs at the local cigarette/tobacco outlet. They have them twisty tied to a piece of cardboard. They are MM though. I thought they were their own style.

They have a General there I want to pick up too.
Thanks to you too Shikano. I honestly don't think I ever noticed the "Bowl type" option before.
Edit: So it's safe to assume my cobwarden is a Legend with the 'Flat' bowl option.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Nice to know I'm not the only cob smoker.
Here is a link to the Rob Roy on the MM website.
http://corncobpipe.com/legend-corncob-pipe.html
It's actually a sub group of the Legend. There are three Legend bowl styles.

Flat

Fifth Avenue

Rob Roy
I think I need to order one or three.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You might be amused to learn that a junk antique store in Old Town Sacramento had a number of MMs for sale- used- "Estate??" and they were priced at $30! Also some pretty crumby briars from $18 to $65, and some meers, junky ones at $60-85, one or two goodishmeers at over $150. Nothing to tempt even a fledging collector.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Hi All,

I just finished with my Cob mod. recently. I prefer the filtered Cob but I enjoy them both.

I swapped the bent filtered stem on the Legend with the straight stem on the Mizzou.

The shorter Mizzou is a great second companion for those short walks in the woods, after the wife of course.....

yes, she's watching me type.
https://goo.gl/photos/Xpoj1BBYYthRhS3QA

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm not gonna lie, my briars get a lot more use than the 7 cobs I have. Don't get me wrong, I like the way a cob smokes, and it's my go to pipe while mowing my lawn, but I find the bowls on cobs to have a smaller diameter than I like sometimes. I know you can get very deep bowls, but not very wide ones, and I prefer wider shallower bowls. My favorite is a bent Mark Twain with a freehand vulcanite stem in it. Cobs are nice smoking pipes no doubt, but I do like the look and feel of a briar bowl a little more.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I do the same thing shikano. I have 12 cobs and $400 worth of briar that doesn't get a lot of attention. I've worn out 3 cobs so far because I smoked them too hot when I was a noob.

Status
Not open for further replies.