I don't know what I'm tasting, but I like it.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'm still having difficulty pinpointing the flavors of some of the blends. I can usually taste vanilla, honey and at times some cocoa/chocolate. When it comes to nutty, grassy, earthy, woody...forget about it. I understand it takes time and I'm not giving up.
Today for the first time I smoked a bowl of Sutliff #503 Heavy English that I ordered from P&C. From the description:
Sutliff Heavy English is a hearty English blend combining Smyrna, lemon Virginia, Oriental grades and high in Latakia content.
I tasted something today that I never tasted before and I really like it. My best description would be "floral minty spicy" if that makes any sense.
Any ideas of what that is? Lemon Virginias? Smyrna? I have never smoked any tobacco that has Smyrna listed in it until today.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The magic of good blending is that it is more than merely the sum of its parts. You may be tasting an interaction of more than one component that doesn't taste much like any of its constituent parts.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Just out of curiosity, have you sampled more or less straight Latakia before? It's very distinctive.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It’s probably the Smyrna leaf. That’s the oriental tobacco “incense” flavor/smell. But who knows. But one thing is for sure, once you dial in on a “flavor” or taste in a blend you will know it forever and search it out. I chewed tobacco for 32 years, mostly Kodiak, and there is a distinct “flavor” you get when you leave the dip in long enough. It’s like fermented licorice and hay. Impossible to describe unless you have done it. Sometimes pipe tobacco is similar. You just get it one day. Heck, it took me 3 years before I ever smelled the McCleands “ketchup” people talk about. Then one day I opened a tin and bamb! There it was. Ketchup. I’ve smelled it every since. Even a mile away. Took me forever to get it though.
Here is a CLASSIC Buddhist learning tool. Look at the picture until you know what it is. Once you “see” it there is no doubt in your mind. Until you see it and know in your heart what it is, there will always be confusion and unrest.

cow-image.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Just out of curiosity, have you sampled more or less straight Latakia before? It's very distinctive.

No, I haven't. I'll put that on my list though.
It’s probably the Smyrna leaf. That’s the oriental tobacco “incense” flavor/smell

Yeah, incense flavor/smell.
Thanks

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
You were throwing me off with the "minty" part. Never gotten that from Smyrna. But Npod is right. It's very incense-loke, and absolute ambrosia to people whose palates like it.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Ok. I'm going to search out another blend with Smyrna in it. Thanks.
Neal, as for the Mysterious Figure. I don't see it yet. I'm working on it. 8O

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I don't see it yet. I'm working on it.
I was never able to see it without help. It drove me crazy. I finally gave up and looked it up. Now I see clearly. The point is, some people see the truth on their own and some need a teacher or guidance. Either way, truth is truth.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here is a CLASSIC Buddhist learning tool. Look at the picture until you know what it is. Once you “see” it there is no doubt in your mind. Until you see it and know in your heart what it is, there will always be confusion and unrest.
I would say that's a bunch of bull but it's not. :mrgreen:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Ok. I'm going to search out another blend with Smyrna in it. Thanks.
Here it is. Have fun. https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/john-cottons/Smyrna-1.75oz/product_id/191325
I stocked up on McClelland Smyrna before they closed the doors. PM me if you want to try a more oriental forward variety of Smyrna with not much Latakia.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, shit. I wasn't confused or restive before, but thanks to not seeing what's in that picture, I am now.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As to the OP I will have to agree about the Smyrna. Orientals are very incense like and just amazing.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Neal, Thanks...I just ordered a tin of John Cotton's Smyrna from SP. Also, I cheated and Googled the image. Now I see it.
Thanks everyone for your responses.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It probably is the Smyrna, but again, not that simple. They way it interacts with the other tobaccos will change it. Try other blends with it, but don't be disappointed if the magic disappears. If you love everything with Smyrna, extra win.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I admire people who can describe with detail things they taste in tobacco and also wines, for that matter. When a sommelier tells me he tastes "forest floor with notes of garden hose" I know just what he's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.