I detect a hint of soapiness in Plum Pudding.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
It is at the very first light and starts to tone down 1/4 through the bowl and then disappears. At least I think I would describe it as soapy. Could it be the orientals? Or is it possible that the 'something extra' is an ennerdale flake lol. Not sure but I am a bit disappointed since I like Mississippi River so much that I decided to purchase three eight ounce tins. I've cellared one tin in jars but now I have two eight ounce tins that I don't really think I want. At $20.00 a tin I am a little discouraged. I can't post in the trade forum yet but was wondering if anyone would be interested in trading?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I love PP and the last thing I get from it is Lakeland essence. That is one thing about taste though, everyone will percieve something different. I would give it a few more bowls if I were you but if you still don't like it, I'm sure you could find a trade without much effort. PP is very well liked.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Probably just the higher Latakia content.
P.P. has the addition of Cavendish as well which can have an alkaline flavor.
If I didn't already have quite a bit of it, I would trade with you ... I like it! :puffy:
What type bowls have you tried for this blend?

It needs room to breathe so a wider bowl is better.

The barrel shape of an MM Country Gent is perfect!

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
So far I've only tried it in a bulldog. Maybe If I can't trade it, It will just sit int the cellar for the next 10 years lol.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Could it be that you've smoked Lakelands out of the pipes you're using for Plum Pudding, and they've left a ghost?

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I've never gotten that from PPudding. I wonder if it could be what Cobguy said about the cavindesh.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
At $20.00 a tin I am a little discouraged.
That's a damn good price I'm getting it for 63$ a pound bulk. Try it in a few different pipes and let it dry out a bit, I find PP is totally different dry than it is moist.

Mar 1, 2014
I've had an alkaline flavour from at least three different tobaccos, usually heavy Latakia blends, including Plum Pudding.

It's nothing like Lakeland flavouring.
As mentioned, it seems to happen mostly when you smoke the pipe too hot.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I find PP smokes best in my panel billiard. The flavor is not the same in other pipes, including an apple and my poker. +1 for trying another pipe, PP is worth the effort. :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm with you, disgusting tobacco
Lol ... I think you're looking for the Molto Dolce thread! :rofl:
I just finished another bowl of this and will say that Latakia lightweights need not apply. :puffy:

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
Try using a smaller pipe with a taller bowl. When I smoke pp I use the same pipe every time and I never have a problem. I would also recommend letting it age a bit, I didn't like pp at first but Jared it and let it sit and when I went back to it I loved it.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
There's no top-dressing on Plum Pudding, and the black Cavendish is unflavored as well. The most likely culprit for the "floral" quality is the way that the Orientals play off the Latakia.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.