PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Well I finally did it, I broke my cherry with Carter Hall. This is the first time I tried this blend or any other OTC since I began smoking a pipe for real in 2000.
I loaded it in my first pipe I ever bought a Savinellli Linea Piu 5 and went to town. It was tasty, mild and sweet and no hint of bite. It was one dimensional but that was fine. I did not have to think about it, I just sat back perused the board, answered emails and enjoyed it. It did burn rather quickly in comparison to my flakes, but that is ok. I normally can get an hour and a half from this size bowl with a flake, this took about 45 minutes. It burned to nothing but ash with not a hint of dottle and did not leave any type of goopy mess in my bowl. My daughter also like the room note which is always a plus.
I can totally see why people like this one. I will definitely smoke this again and add some to the cellar.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
My goodness, I thought you were about to say you tried Middleton Cherry.

Dec 24, 2012
Very funny Harris. I had been thinking the same just yesterday - that I hear all these folks extolling the virtues of CH and I have never tried it. Yesterday I went to 4noggins and scoped it out. I had never had much success with burley blends, but recently tried Storm Front and quite enjoy that. So started to wonder whether I should delve into CH. I think you have reinforced my view that I should.

Jul 15, 2011
Carter Hall is really nice for breaking in a new pipe, fairly neutral and burns easily. Its a solid smoke and as you said, its what I smoke when I dont really like to think about what Im doing. Im also a big fan of Middletons Apple and Half and Half which are in the same vein. Apple takes a little bit of dry time to reach its full potential, and I just have a soft spot for Half and Half, dont know why.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peckinpah, it will not replace my beloved flakes, but it is something I can enjoy on occasion. I can see me loading it up when I go to run errands and I just want something simple with some flavor. It burns really nice. My pouch had the perfect humidity so no drying time required. I am not a huge burley guy and in certain blends I find it off putting like Solani ABF and Reiner Long Golden flake. If someone told me this had no burley in it, I would have believed them. It is not the burley I am used to that is for sure. You should grab a pouch, and see what you think.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It was one dimensional but that was fine. I did not have to think about it, I just sat back
That's the advantage of the old OTC blends. Simple and straightforward. I really like 'em when working outside in the summer.

Dec 24, 2012
I'm going to order some to try. It will be my first drugstore blend. I'm drawing the line at the Sugar Barrel stuff though. Wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10 foot barge pole.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I'm glad to here you liked Carter Hall, it is one of the best OTC blends IMHO. Simple, no frills, just a good easy smoke.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Since i've been broke lately, all i've been smoking is CH and am loving it. Nothing compared to my favorites but i now realize why it's been around since the stone age.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I would love to find an inexpensive OTC blend that I enjoy as an everyday smoke. Not a fan of PA --- would I like CH, or are they too similar? Same question for Sugar Barrel, which has been the topic of a couple of recent threads.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I really like Carter Hall! I'm going to try that Carter Hall / Walnut blend discussed so much in a recent thread. My grandfather smoked Carter Hall. Just seeing the pouch makes me smile.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I think you guys have talked me into it. I'm going to try CH and 'Wal-Hal". (and probably SB)
Still looking for comparison comments to Angler's Dream if anyone has thought to share.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Ok I just ordered some CH and Walnut from 4Noggins (and some SB). (And some MacBaren tins I've been meaning to try). (OK I have a TAD problem).
This better be good. Or I'm blaming y'all. ;)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sothron, I can only comment on the CH. Please do not think it is the end all be all, it is just a nice simple blend for when you just want to smoke and not think about it. It will not send you to Nirvana so don't be expecting that.
Also if you don't like it, tough titties, you are stuck with it. :nana:

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I love Carter Hall in my cobs. Its my morning smoke most days and it has become my go to while camping or fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.