PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've been wanting an author for a while and my will power failed me.
Just bought this baby.
002-033-23143.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks Bradley and Death.
What's weak is my will power. I was trying not to spend any more money. So much for that. lol

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Nice, Is that a Gaius? I think Sav's 320 might be my all time favorite author shape, love that acrylic mount and stem variation.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yes it's a Gaius. My choice was between two Gaius this one and a rusticated one.
I'm a 320 virgin. Can't wait to smoke it.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
The Gaius would be my first pick in the 320 series as well.
Enjoy.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Beautiful pipe Fitzy! Congratulations and hope you thoroughly enjoy it.
J

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a solid looking briar. A good author like this is a primo shape.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
What better way to celebrate putting Chelski to the sword. :)

Enjoy smoking it.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Great looking pipe!! I didn't know much about authors pipes so it got me wondering and wandering.

And I found this.
From the website apassionforpipes.com

(LINK HERE)
Check the link as there are some very nice looking pipes. :puffpipe:
In Praise of Authors
Author (Churchill) by Rad Davis

Like many of you, I have a lot of pipes. Too many, if such a thing is possible. While I love them all, some of them exert special magnetism. When I’m contemplating relaxing with a book, paper, or magazine – and I think about smoking a pipe as I read – I will inevitably reach for a particular pipe in that moment. It is in those moments of choosing that I experience that special magnetism. I will reach for a particular pipe.
A couple of years ago, I penned a post called “Comfort Pipes” where I wrote about how some pipes create the same psychological effect on me that comfort food does. Whereas I understand the origins of why I feel some foods are comfort foods and some aren’t – they are often related to particularly warm and vivid memories from childhood and young adulthood – I haven’t been able to put my finger on why some pipes feel more like comfort pipes than others.
For me, it is not just particular pipes that exert that comfort magnetism, it is particular shapes. Where I’m concerned, the author is one of several comfort shapes. It is particularly satisfying to me when I’m contemplating reading. The author is suited to reading.
Unlike many from my generation, I never sought out drugs, mushrooms, or marijuana for transcendental experiences. Since I first discovered the myriad worlds that lurk between the covers of books, I have found all the transcendence I ever wanted from reading. I literally lose all traces of myself when I read; I am a friendly canvas upon which any skilled writer can paint the stories of worlds. I am a willing suspender of disbelief, a savorer of great turns of phrase, and as willingly gullible as the best fishing companion.
There aren’t many things that can pull me out of a great story’s grasp, and without fail, I resent most of them. So, if I must too consciously attend myself to the ministrations of pipe-smoking, frustration and impatience overwhelm my placidity like a cresting wave swamps a small rowboat.
If there was ever a time I want a pipe to stay lit, stay sweet, and smoke long, it is when I’m reading. If there is ever a time when I crave the radiating warmth of a pipe’s bowl while cradled in my hand, it is when I’m reading. These are the defining behaviors and traits of a comfort pipe, and my authors have stepped up and delivered. They are to pipes what a plain-faced, big-hearted, and reliably affectionate woman is to marriage: there for the sweet, long haul through storms and winters and relentlessly cold drizzles.
Authors are not particularly dazzling to regard. There is nothing sexy or racy about them. They are pipes with big hips and double chins. Rubenesque in their proportions, they are retiring in their dispositions. That is what I love about them.
But, when they are suitably loaded and lit, they step back from the front door of one’s consciousness and let the mind saunter into the wilderness of words. An author is a not just a writer’s pipe. It is a reader’s pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.