PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

therrad

Lurker
Jan 23, 2014
Hello,
I am thinking of taking up pipe smoking, i generally like the idea of being able to go out on my balcony and having a good long relaxing smoke as the world passes by. Unfortunately i have no clue of what type of pipe i would like, i like the look of a long wood pipe but would like to get a large smoke effect from the pipe too (i enjoy making smoke rings and generally looking at the way smoke moves).
i have read that pipes made from different woods change the effect too although i haven't seen much more information. a friend of mine smoked pipe for a long time and he advised me to find out if the length or material of the pipe changes the nuisance of burning your lips (not something i would enjoy).
im obviously new to smoking pipe so i do need some information to get me started and my budget is not extensive, any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
It's a wonderful hobby to take up..as you can see all of the enjoyment everyone on this forum expresses...I will not tell u what pipe to buy, that is a personal choice based on how the pipe "talks" to you when u hold it in your hands...please stay away from cheap drug store pipes...you say you like the idea of a long stem pipe...the pipe you may be referring to is a Churchwarden...they give a very nice cool smoke..and are definitely not a bad choice for a first pipe...find a pipe shop and go talk to them...touch and feel their pipes...find one that you like and talk to them about their different tobaccos...good luck...and I look forward to your follow up posts

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on everything that NOLA Cajun said, with these additions: The sponsors on this site are all selected for the quality of their merchandise, the professional caliber of their expertise and their high standard of business ethics. Search their sites--you will find pipes in all price ranges--talk with them – either by phone or via email, and make the selection that seems best for you. You are certain to find a quality pipe that will give you many years of pleasurable smoking. If money is an object, I'd like to suggest a corncob pipe. This is not smoking on the cheap; rather it is an inexpensive way to enjoy pipe smoking. Two of our sites sponsors, Missouri Meerschaum and Old Dominion offer the finest cobs you can get. Old Dominion recently became a site sponsor and I purchased a couple of their pipes – they are truly superlative smokers. The same goes for tobaccos – our sponsors offer the world's finest tobaccos at very reasonable prices. If you want some descriptions and reviews of the various tobaccos go to www.tobaccoreviews.com. Your head will spin with a variety of what's available. Most of all, check out what the members of this forum have had to say – we're all passionate pipe smokers, and we share a wealth of information amongst us – and now with you, because you're one of us. Ask any question you wish, and it will be answered by somebody who knows something about the issue you've raised. Welcome!

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Wellcome therrad.

If you want a good long relaxing with a lots of smoke I do recommand a big size bowl(dunhill size

4 or 5 over). For example Lane 1Q in a Danish free hand egg style pipes. You could enjoy over 1 hour relaxing

and Peace. Nice tea or coffee will add more Pleasure.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums. :clap:

I suspect that you have some smoking experience, and a discernment for the taste(s) of tobacco.

It would be helpful in recommending a tobacco type if we knew what that experience was.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Welcome to the forum.
Don't think just smoke.
Starters tip pick the tobacco you think you will like the best based on whatever the name the smell the look it doesn't matter just jump in from there I recommend a sampler from one of the brother sites on here.
As for a pipe this is different. You can't just smoke any old cheap pipe try to spend at least 60-80$ on a good brand or you can find an estate pipe but that well most likely come second or third once your comfortable with the hobby.
What on here and watch the buy and sell section nice pipes come up all the time also.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Welcome to the forums. I generally recommend a MM cob and a Virginia. Nothing too crazy; just something to enjoy and exceptionally cheap to get some experience and to decide if you enjoy smoking a pipe. The burley forward Carter Hall is very forgiving for first timers too. I think it's a bit bland on its own, but others swear by it. I started with an MM Pony Express cob and a tin of MacBaren VA No. 1. Good luck to you.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome! Lots of good advice already. The one thing I will add is smoking a pipe can be tricky. In the beginning your pipe may go out often. You may scorch your tongue now and then, but don't give up. eventually it all comes together.
In regards to a pipe, I agree with ravkesef. Start with a corncob. If you find that you are really enjoying it, then move to a briar pipe. just be careful when choosing one. There are plenty of garbage pipes for sale on Amazon, ebay. Read the forums and ask questions -and feel free share what you're considering before buying.
Visit here often and don't hesitate to ask lots of questions. Also - view videos online on how to pack a pipe and even how to smoke a pipe. James Fox, Ireland has some excellent intro videos.
Most of all, have fun - it is a great pastime.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are all different ways to go at this, but I would tend to second teufelhund, a simple pipe and a

mild tobacco. Just be sure to get a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe, a good durable pipe with a

traditional bit, for starters. If you feel this is a pleasant experience, then you can consider a briar pipe

and what tobaccos might provide variety from the starting brand. This all might cost you $15, and give

you a good notion of pipe smoking.

...and so begins the inundation with suggestions :D Welcome to the forum.
As I have set in my favorite briary and listened to many newbies get suggestions, these are some good ones that I've overheard that I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

Think about getting a pipe with thin walls. You will probably want a larger pipe later on, but thin walls will help you keep the heat in check with your fingers. It's not a cigarette or a cigar that you puff on. The idea is to slowly smoke it as if you want it to last as long as possible. Going slow, and always striving to go slower, till you're just barely keeping it going. Think smoldering.
Choose a tobacco that you like, but if there is someone else that you share the space with, keep them in mind (courtesy). 1Q is the classic starter aromatic. It will give you what you need till you can get your technique going.
You mentioned a long stem, which we call churchwardens. These are great, but you have to constantly hold them, which (to me) gets old. And, some rely on them too much to cool the smoke, when you probably should be focusing on getting your technique down, first.
Biotene, its a mouthwash that is made for dry mouth, but works great to re-hydrate your mouth after smoking, and helps speed recovery from tongue bite and burn. Good stuff.
I also find that it helps to have a cup of coffee or tea handy while smoking to clear my palate, so that I can keep smoking, and the smoke dries my throat a bit. Some drink beer or liquor, whatever floats your boat.
Slow, think slow. The slower you smoke, the more you'll taste and enjoy the hobby.
There have been many great suggestions, and more will follow, I'm sure.

But, this is just my 2 cents, :puffy:

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I completely agree with the a corncob...I have a few from Missouri Meerschaum and they are very good smokers...also very inexpensive....if you find it's a hobby you really enjoy, then you can look at purchasing more expensive pipes...

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Tip from a recent beginner.
I would recommend either a trip to a pipe smokers house or your local tobacconist. If the latter buy a cheep $20 briar pipe. Hes gotta have one. have him pack you a partial bowl of his best tasting bulk aromatic and then one of his best suggested bulk english. He will describe them to you. I personally don't recommend a corn cobb cause the wrong cobb will taste like cobb not tobacco.
Take your time and get a feel for each taste. Don't be in a rush. The tobacconist will let you sample many flavors if he is worth going to. Then buy what you liked to take home for further sampling. You should be able to get out of there spending less then 50 bucks likely only 30
Once your feet are wet and you say hey I really like this, then focus on getting a nice pipe. For that I suggest looking at every pipe on a website like a sponsor smokingpipes.com and at your kind tobacconist store front. straight pipes are heavier in your mouth then bent ones. Some smoke differently then others but I always picked by quality, style, and my current budget. Remember you will be adding an appendage to your face like glasses.
PS ... feel free to hurry up and try, but take your time once your there. Patience is the first lesson about pipe smoking anyway.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Go to your local tobacconist and get the following things:
1. A corncob pipe

2. Pipe cleaners

3. Flame of some sort

4. A couple of house blends that smell good to you, or are recommended to you
You'll be out $30 or so if you don't like it. But you'll like it.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm a bit of a contrarian in the advice department as I would discourage a beginner to start with aromatics. First, many are very harsh and smoke poorly. Second, even many of the good ones are difficult to smoke, ie: to coax flavor out of without getting tongue bite. What I would recommend, however, is somewhat dependent on what your previous tobacco experience has been. Are you a cigarette smoker or chewer (this will tell me about your smoke and nicotine tolerance)? Are you a cigar smoker (this will tell me about your flavor tolerance)? Etc.
As for pipes, I agree with the recommendations above - get a few good quality cobs. I recommend the Country Gent my Missouri Meerschaum. They'll run you under $10 each and smoke better than cheap briar pipes. When you're ready to take the briar plunge, I strongly recommend buying a clean estate pipe (or two) from a quality vendor (not EBay). You'll get 2-3 times the pipe for your money and it'll already be broken in.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Do not buy a cheap briar!!! Briar will impart flavoring into the tobacco and you have no idea what you would be getting with a cheap briar..,a corncob is neutral just like meerschaum and will not impart any flavoring into the smoking process...and there really isn't any "break in" required for a cob like what's required for briar...

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Also, a pipe doesn't consistently produce voluminous bellows of smoke. Every once in awhile, every few minutes, if you're gentle. If you expect to produce a lot of thick smoke, you'll end up aiming for this, and in the process, you'll scorch your tobacco, your tongue, and possibly your pipe. It's just not good. After you have your pipe lit, try to hold it in your mouth (clenching), while breathing as you normally would. Some, and I include myself in this group, find pipe smoking to be thoroughly contemplative, if not meditative, and I personally find the Buddhist ideas on awareness, starting with your breath, to be especially helpful.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Welcome to the forums! You have definitely been given some very sage suggestions. The basics have been thoroughly covered so there's no need to inundate you with more suggestions, which is why I'm going make some more suggestions.
Cobs are a great way to test out pipe smoking without spending a lot of money. You can always buy a $15,000 Bo Nordh later. Just don't buy one from anyone selling from China...
Lane 1Q is a popular choice for people starting out. It's a mild tobacco. A lot of folks also like Captain Black white label, though that doesn't get much mention here.
Pack your pipe so that the tobacco is firm, but not tight. You should be able to suck air through your pipe without difficulty.
Don't worry about keeping it lit or smoking to the bottom of the bowl. Just relax and see how it goes.
We usually start with a charring light, just enough to make a layer of ash over the top of the tobacco, and tap that down, then relight.
A few puffs should be enough to get things started, then just sip the smoke, like you're sipping scotch. Slow little sips.
With time and practice, you will find your rhythm naturally, just like breathing.
Mortgaging the house to buy tobacco and more pipes comes later.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
I think you are over thinking it. Keep it simple.
Picking a pipe is personal. There are many good pipes with different styles to choose from. So get one that you like. Go got to your local B&M and try holding a few they should be able to help you. However, if you never smoked before and you are looking to just try and see if pipes are for you. Then I recommend you get a cob some lanes and see if it's for you.
Have fun and happy puffing

Status
Not open for further replies.