PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Although it would probably for closer to 'derelict' tobacco to those familiar with nautical terms (I only just learned the difference, myself). Anyway, recently I've been getting alot of charred bits in my mouth when I smoke and it makes me gag. I think it may by at least one of three things: 1) I'm a bad pipe daddy and don't clean the kids often enough, 2) I really suck thus drawing the junk through the stem, or 3) I only buy and smoke low grade pipes and you guys will tell me I owe it to myself to up buy.
Any similar anecdotes, resolutions and suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Could be one thing or a combination of all. Key is firstly make sure your pipe is cleaned out before use. Don't suck, puff instead. Some baccy's need to be packed a bit tighter on a pipe with a wide open draw etc, These tips could go on and on. I think we need a few more details from you mate

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
It's all of the pipes that I'm currently smoking (2 grabows and 2 cobs). Today it happens to be one of the cobs (MM Country Gent straight). I chalk most things up to 'It happens' but it was happening so frequently that it must be a something that I'm doing wrong. By frequently, I mean 3 or 4 times over the course of a bowl. I should also point out that I sacrificed accuracy for (failed) humor when I said 'I sucked hard' and I should have said something like 'I may have a hard or overly aggressive draw.' I am in the midst of the grand switch from nails and pipes to exclusively pipes which is why I suspected technique.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Grabows and Cobs have a 6mm draw unless you have a non-filtered one. You might try with a 6mm Dr. Grabow or Medico filter, that will definitly solve your problem. I dont care for filters but i do use them in my filtered cobs. I use the 6mm balsa wood filter though. Transition from cigs to pipe does equal a stronger intake, this I know from experience. Use the 6mm filters untill you get the "sip method" down pat mate

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I do have the filters in them. I'm probably trying to stretch pennies into dime by not changing them. It's probably a combination of all the issues. I am going to try giving all of the pipes a good scrubbing, changing the filters more often, and puffing gently like I'm enjoying myself as opposed to puffing like I'm syphoning gasoline. I appreciate having everyone here as a sounding board. Thank you for your help.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
How in GODS name brother do you suck bits thru one of those filters??Somethin wrong,more info please so we can help..

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
A good tip given to me when I first dove into pipe-smoking after a decade and a half of nails was to actually count a cadence between puffs. It doesn't take long before the slower pace becomes habitual, and you won't have to keep the cadence, so to speak.
Paper filters are single use, if used at all in my house. They get stanky fast, and I don't want to taste rancid tars...outside of Latakia, of course. A good cleaning after every smoke keeps the smokers fresh too, even if ly grandfather finds it humorous.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Dump the filters, and run cleaners through after every smoke. And don't try to smoke a pipe like you would a cig. We all get this sometimes, but not frequently.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Jud is right on the money with his remarks above. Sometimes it will happen if the tobacco is too fine. You might try filling your pipe and before you light it, run a cleaner through it to make sure the airway is not blocked. Also, if it happens at the end of your smoke, the bowl is finished and you are getting ash. We have all experienced it. Keep a clean and dry pipe. Give your pipes a rest for a day or so. Especially, if you have smoked a particular pipe several times. Then give it a couple days of rest, at least. I run a cleaner through the pipe after every smoke and remove it to allow it to air dry. I am not one who leaves a pipe cleaner in a pipe. Sip and do not puff too hard. I rotate 30 pipes and I also dedicate specific pipes to specific blends or "similar" blends.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Lots a good advice here already. Switching from cigs to pipes takes a little while, both nsfisher and I are in that boat as well.
Balsa:yes, they help keep the nasties away ;-)

Cadence: very much so ! I burned my mouth in the beginning I was sucking so hard and fast ;-) I started reading on my iPad while smoking and timing myself. Puff, puff, draw... Look at the time, wait a full minute. Puff, puff, draw..

Packing: try to put the bigger bits first so they're at the bottom of the bowl. It helps.
Now,6 months into it, it still happens but way less. Usually once at the beginning when I test the draw, if at all.
Good luck.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
There are pipe screens made to stop that effect. Ebay has them and I remember seeing them in online shops.
A lil screen that covers the draw hole in the bottom of your bowl.
Edit : Just did a google search for * pipe screens* and came up with a page of them & cheap. They may be made for wacky weed, but they are sure to work for you.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I've slowed down my draw considerably and have taken to running a cleaner through the stem before I smoke as well as giving the pipe a good knock on the heel of my palm and then running the cleaner again to clear anything loose. So far so good today. I think it was happening because I was really cranking on the draw. I'm a high-strung person and have been working to slow that down but it's a hard thing to do (Step One is admitting you have a problem). Having such a helpful and delicious reminder should go a long way.
I'm jaded too because, as pointed out in another thread, I've seen my dad smoke a pipe my whole life and he makes it look so damn easy. I know that comes with experience that I do not yet possess. Again, the student is humbled while the master laughs except in my case, the dubbed dialogue is not so badly out of sync.
Thank you to everyone who took an interest.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
One more things that you could possibly do to help is pack a bit tighter, help keep things in their place

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
I was thinking about this today were you using a pipe cleaner through your filter? If you had it may have been paper and not leaf that you were sucking in. Change filter daily 2 days of smoking at the most.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Ive had that issue with cobs when new till i buld up some cake and stuff never had that issue with a garbow

Status
Not open for further replies.