PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I recently received a tin of C&D Sunset Harbor flake, and it burns very hot. It is my first flake tobacco and I'm not sure if Its me or just the blend. I rub it out completely , Maybe too much. Pinch test and pack a bit light to compensate for expansion, and smoke slow. But it still smokes hot. I've tried it in both cobs and briar, as well as both a little moist and quite dry, and am just curious as to what you guys may think the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, and gals.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm sure many more experienced than I will be able to help more, but my limited experience with flakes have produced some mixed results. Try not rubbing it out but cube cutting it, or try the fold and stuff method. For me, the fold and stuff produces the coolest smoke, but it can be hard to keep lit. I'd try those different methods as what I've read and been shown is that the flake has been produced that way so rubbing it out reduces it to a ready rubbed product which almost defeats the purpose of the flake. You'll likely get better advice but that's what works for me.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Good advice Coal, try cubeing it and gravity loading while tamping the side of your pipe till it is a little below the rim, then very very gently tamp down. This my do it for you and slow down you are not running a race, let every little puff mean something, if you have to relight, the relight police won"t give you a ticket.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks guys, Ill pack lighter, and slower. Ill experiment a bit and find a way that works well for me. Ive always had a problem trying to stuff to much baccy in my pipe. I'm still learning, but ive got plenty of time. Again thanks, ur input is greatly appreciated.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I cube cut it as best I could, after watching Bobs video on it. It is smoking just fine now. I guess I was just packing it to tight for a flake. Thanks to you all for your help, Now I know. And to quote G.I. Joe "Knowing is half the battle!"

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would try the cube cut method and then pack it in the 3-4 stage method. I fill my flakes to the top and then gently push down making sure I do it around the sides as well. I then put more in and use a little more pressure, getting the sides, I then put more in and then put even more pressure. I will then check the draw and if it is like sucking air, I put a tad more in and then really add pressure. When I am done I want it to feel like I am sucking through a straw and there is some decent resistance. I have found that when a pipe is packed too loosely it burns really hot. I smoke flakes exclusively and this method works best for me. I also make sure to dump out ash when I need to relight, trying to relight with a bunch of ash is difficult and it also reduces flavor in my opinion.

hogfoot

Lurker
May 10, 2013
For an extended period I smoked only flakes, and flake smoking is a wholly separate skill from smoking regular pipe tobacco. The first few smokes were ruined and had to be dug out of the bowl! The first technique that worked for me was the fold and stuff method, smoking the flake lengthwise makes it easy to keep lit, and it gives an excellent cool and long smoke, roughly 50% more smoking time than regular tobacco. As I recall it required less frequent puffing too, due to being easier to keep lit when smoking lengthwise.
As time went on, I settled into a continuous feed method of stuffing, where I just kept feeding flake lengthwise into the bowl until it was 'just right'. Flake really has to be kept moisturized, as while it is possible to smoke dry regular pipe tobacco, dry flake is horrible and very difficult to stuff right - and will smoke very hot, too. As I recall it, flake always worked better in my larger pipes - my first ruined pipe was a small Peterson dubliner that got horribly discoloured from overheating when I tried it with flake back when I was still quite inexperienced. My advice is to forget all you thought you knew about pipe smoking and learn it all over with flake - including using a less important / expensive pipe until you are comfortable with the technique, so as to avoid the expensive kind of mistake I made with my dubliner.
Oh, and I'll agree with the other gentlemen here in that rubbing flake defeats the purpose. Tried it once, never again.
Good luck, flake smoking is the best smoke I had up until the point where I discovered traditional english style tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.