PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
So, the other day my friend gave me a p-lip pipe because he couldn't stand it (controversial, I know). I actually find myself really liking it. i get a different taste from it. I think it has to do with how it enters my mouth, etc. I'm sure Greg Pease could offer me exact reasons... So, now I find myself infinitely curious about a Peterson p-lip system pipe. But I'm still skeptical. So, I'm turning to you, my friends. Do you have one? Do you like it? if you hate it, wanna sell it to me cheap so I can see if I do (hehe)?

Does anyone know a reputable estate dealer I could get one for a low price? I don't have the $$ to shell out for something I'm curious about. Well, I might but my wife sure doesn't think I do and well... Happy Wife, Happy Life...

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I hate the P-lip and the various copies of it! I take a file and sandpaper to the Grabow version used on the Omegas. The only Pete I ever owned I sold simply because of it's P-lip stem.Can't handle the way it feels in my mouth.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I heard that you have to be careful not to tip system pipes so all the yucky juice in the well flows up the stem.

Of course, cleaning and drying can be an extra PITA too. I dunno; I never used a system pipe. Comments from the experienced?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I tried two P-lips and just didn't warm up to them. If you like a non-Pete P-lip, chances are good you'll enjoy a Peterson version. The Aran line is modestly priced with nice Aran estates going very reasonably. ($40 or so?)

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah, I actually enjoy the P-lip (or I think I do...) on the Peterson I have. I have an Aran. So the System not so much?

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I've got 11 Petersons, all of them P-lips. They're my daily go-to pipes.
I think that the direction of the smoke towards the palate and the nose actually enhances the flavour and aroma.
As for cleaning, if it's a System pipe, it's a breeze - you can remove the military mount stem even when the pipe is hot and thus access all parts. I use the thinner pipe cleaners from Falcon or Peterson for an easier pass through the P-lip.
Point is, if I didn't like them, I wouldn't own 11.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I do not have a Peterson system pipe but do have a couple of regular ones with a P-lip. I like 'em. I think the P-lips are the same on both system and non system Petersons, but someone with more knowledge of the system pipes might say different.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I love the P-lip and the system, in my opinion both contribute to a better smoke. My two best smoking pipes are a Peterson system and a Wellington copy of the Pete system. Speaking of which, if price is an issue, go to ebay and look for a Wellington. Great pipes, and you can get a really nice one for a lot less than a Peterson. They have the system, lip, looks and everything, plus they're just cool classic American pipes.

Jul 12, 2011
Had one, smoked about a dozen times or so...didn't like it and

gifted it to a brother of briar who really likes it ;-)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I wanted to like the p-lip (many Peterson models I like come with it). However, I tried the p-lip and definitely wasn't for me. I felt it dried the roof of my mouth too much and the overall experience was just 'meh'.
It's interesting that Peterson sticks with the p-lip when (at least on this forum) it seems the majority dislike it. My only guess is that this forum isn't necessarily reflective of the whole of pipe smokers. I would expect that if P-lips were universally disdained, they'd stop selling them.
Anyway, to each his own - the p-lip is clearly a good choice for some pipe smokers.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
So, the weird thing here is that it seems new Peterson Systems cost only about $10 more than the estate ones I'm finding on Ebay... Kind of frustrating.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
My plip system is the pipe i smoke the most. The way the lip is shaped makes it perfect for hanging and if you get tongue bite it is nice to have an alternate. It never gurgles either.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
So, the weird thing here is that it seems new Peterson Systems cost only about $10 more than the estate ones I'm finding on Ebay... Kind of frustrating.
Yeah - ebay can be all over the place. I am amazed at the prices some pipes get. I've seen used estates go for more than a new model! I think some people just get caught up in the bidding without doing their homework.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
It's interesting that Peterson sticks with the p-lip when (at least on this forum) it seems the majority dislike it.
I'm actually surprised that Peterson seems to be the only pipe maker these days that sells pipes with the steck bit. "Steck bit" is the actual name for this type of bit, but now it's so synonymous with Peterson that "P-lip" is the accepted term. I just wonder why others eventually backed away from it. . . although maybe it was a situation where you could choose the option of a steck bit or a wedge bit and it just got too expensive to make that option available.
Bob

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"I think the P-lips are the same on both system and non system Petersons, but someone with more knowledge of the system pipes might say different."
Yes, they are the same on all Petersons, System & other models.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I've had two P-lip Petes. One, a 312, which I kept a P-lip, and which I love to smoke, and another an XL90, that I converted into a fishtail stem.
I found, for me, the XL90 with the P-lip was too heavy to clench (and, because of my work, I have to clench my pipes) and I would keep burning the roof of my mouth. The fishtail conversion works much better for me now and it is one of my best smokers.
The 312 is light enough that the P-lip works the way it's supposed to when I'm clenching. That's a great smoker too! Would be curious to try other P-lips, especially, a few straight P-lips, light or heavy, to see if it makes a difference.

thuber88

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2013
I have 2 Pete's ,both are p-lips, one is a straight billiard banded 120, got it on ebay for under 40 shipped.

The second is a racing green banded B10, I believe it is a Kilarney.Did a trade out with another member, but about half of retail I would guess.

Both are great smokers to me and the only Pete's I own. I like and enjoy the P-lip, but I am usually at home and sitting down when I am smoking them, cob or a Viking for out and about.

Also have the Grabow Omega, and that psuedo p-lip they use works well for me too

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I get all my Pete's w/ fishtail if I can. There have been one or two that had the p-lip, but I had a fishtail made for them. I just never cared for the way they felt. If you are looking for a Peterson p-lip just to try I should have one or two laying around that I dont use. But it is stems only I think one was for a 314 that I have and had another stem made.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I don't have a problem with P-Lips on pipes, than again I put a softie on all of my pipes and I find it makes it easier for me to get a good hold on the stem with my teeth without leaving teeth marks. So I would suggest giving a softie a try, you never know you just might find it easier to hold in your mouth, and it helps with the position of the stem in your mouth, at least it does with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.