PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
I’m really going to miss bulk 965. A few years in a mason jar and it is perfect for me. I put away 5-6 lbs but got distracted with other blends, new releases and sales of other blends. As I’m sitting on the back porch drinking coffee and puffing on a bowl, I’m regretting not loading up on more of it when it was economical and readily available. Life lessons, all good things must come to an end.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Five to six pounds? Sounds like you'll be a happy smoker for quite a while. It's nothing like the Dunhill blend to me, but I tried C&D Tuggle Hall 965, thinking because of the number, it might be a sort of match. It's not, but it is another good bulk blend you might want to try. A few years in a mason jar tend to pick up most blends, i think.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
MM 965 is a very interesting blend for me. And a bit of a story. I had a few tins early on in my journey, but I set them aside and chased the sexy famous tobaccos for a while and did what many of us do ... accumulate mason jars full of one offs. Then earlier this year I tried some aged 965 and experienced a wonderful nirvana smoke. I posted about it here. I have a few tins, but no bulk. I too wish I had stocked up.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I put away 5-6 lbs

That is sounding pretty good to me, I only put away one pound and a couple tins. If you don't smoke it every day it should last a good while.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Just to make you guys feel better, I purchased a single tin in 2015 or 2016 and have never tried it. It is just sitting there.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm down to about four pounds of bulk, but I have nearly 200 tins on reserve. I'm sure that I'll find a suitable alternative, but I'm holding for now.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I'm down to about four pounds of bulk, but I have nearly 200 tins on reserve. I'm sure that I'll find a suitable alternative, but I'm holding for now.
Dang, think that's enough? :rofl:

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I also a major fan of 965 but found the bulk to be inferior to the tins.

Has anyone else had this experience with it?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
As an over ambitious purchaser of tobacco when I first started buying, I bought a pound of 965 bulk and have smoked maybe an ounce of it. Perhaps someday we'll talk about a deal if you find yourself jonesing too much. Admittedly, it is one of those blends I kind of like knowing I have around.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Because tobacco is a sort of self-reward in many cases, the tendency to overdo quantity is common. I think it's smart to reign back limits. When quantities are ordered, this tends to turn on the psychology of plenty. If I have so much, I'll smoke it later, much later. Unless it's on deep discount for a pound, eight ounces will hold most of us for many years, for most blends, even the ones we love. Okay, now we can all forget we read this and order away!

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Recently, Watch City Cigars put up some 25 year old 965 (jarred 1993). They were asking $6/oz or something like that. I thought it was a pretty good deal, considering what a tin of 1993 Dunhill goes for. Not sure if it's still in stock or not. It was a week or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.