PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I have myself a nice, polished meerschaum pipe, no weird carving just your standard bowl shape, let's say a bent rhodesian for consideration's sake.
I also have an intricately carved meerschaum of a seal balancing a ball on it's nose, a real collector's item.
I go stand out on the sidewalk, and drop them both from shoulder level onto the concrete. I'm about 6' 2", for considerations sake.
What happens to my meerschaums? Scratched? Chipped? Shattered? Marvelously unharmed?

asteroid1

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2011
If the Rhodesian was made from calcined Africa meerschaum then there's a good chance for it suffering only some minor damage (scuff marks/small chip/broken stem). The carved Turkish meerschaum pipe would most likely suffer some serious damage (shatter) unless it landed in such a way that the stem took most of the impact.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Let's just say that is a question I never want to find out the answer to. I never smoke my meers outdoors.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Kinda fragile, the highly decorative ones I would think, having all the things delicately carved and hanging out there in mid air. :(

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If a meer shatters on the sidewalk and there's no one to hear it (hypothetically, dropped by a deaf pipe smoker) does it make a noise? :rofl:

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
I also have an intricately carved meerschaum of a seal balancing a ball on it's nose, a real collector's item.
I have no idea, but this line had me laughing.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Hindsight is 20/20 so I'll send you my meer for experimentation. It also happens to be a figural seal balancing a ball...I never got why it was marked 2 of 2

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
:lol:
asteroid1 sounds like the voice of true knowledge, but thanks everyone for the funny replies.
Really I just want to have an understanding about the durability and brittleness of meerschaum, before I add one to my collection, and yeah hobiedog, I was wondering if I will have to be extra careful with carved artwork meerschaum with small pieces.
One thing I've read, is that you don't have to be afraid of burnout with meerschaum, which is a bit surprising to me.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I say 10% chance theres no damage, 25% chance of serious fracture, 45% chance of serious ding,s and 25% chance its a total loss. And I dont even care if that equals 100%. Theoretically ,I'm "drunk".

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I say 10% chance theres no damage, 25% chance of serious fracture, 45% chance of serious ding,s and 25% chance its a total loss. And I dont even care if that equals 100%. Theoretically ,I'm "drunk".
Actually lonestar, 105% is possible in the realm of the White Goddess.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Well the floor is concrete, as per my original post storient.
I am still waiting for the official word on burnout. Is it true, you can't burn a hole in meerschaum (by simply smoking tobacco in it, of course)?

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I found the answer ... per wikipedia:
Meerschaum is opaque and of white, grey or cream color, breaking with a conchoidal or fine earthy fracture, and occasionally fibrous in texture. Because it can be readily scratched with the nail, its hardness is placed at about 2. The specific gravity varies from 0.988 to 1.279, but the porosity of the mineral may lead to error. Meerschaum is a hydrous magnesium silicate having the chemical formula Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O. Most of the meerschaum of commerce is obtained chiefly from the plain of Eskişehir in Turkey, between Istanbul and Ankara. It occurs there in irregular nodular masses, in alluvial deposits, which are extensively worked for its extraction. It is said that in this district there are 4000 shafts leading to horizontal galleries for extraction of the meerschaum. The principal workings are at Sepetçi Ocağı and Kemikçi Ocağı, about 20 miles southeast of Eskişehir. The mineral is associated with magnesite (magnesium carbonate), the primitive source of both minerals being a serpentine.
So Spartan, you were not far off at all ... Moh's hardness scale of 2 is very soft ... probably not as hard to break as an ice cube.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
wiki has been proven to be incorrect as humans enter all the data, therefore humans in all their incompetency, fall short even in today's complex world.
He who puts his faith in Humans, will be let down most every time. (famous quote)

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
We as pipe smokers are always looking for a reason for PAD. This sounds to me that a "BACK UP" meer would make sense.

caliban

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
Has this ever happened to anybody? I got an estate calabash meer on eBay and I thought one of the pictures showed it with the bowl off, but when it arrived, the bowl was stuck on tight. I had to return it for a refund. Now I have one on order which really truly shows the bowl detached. Also it's unsmoked. The other one from a usually reliable site had pipe cake on it.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
And what if the pipe was only Meer lined?
5568367810_b3b593dedc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.