PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Just read over at Fair Trade Tobacco, the owner says this storm will most likely wipe out the entire Virginia crop if it lands where expected. So.. stock up on your Virginias now before they go the way of the Reds.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I was wondering about this...
Not the 1st hurricane to hit the region but is this what normally happens? An entire crop dusted?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think what is more accurate is it would potentially wipe out the crop grown in Virginia. Not all tobacco in Virginia ends up being a Virginia blend and not all Virginia blends are grown in Virginia. Quite different than that in fact. I don't know what kind of season they have had there but I would think a lot of the crops are in. Unfortunately, a lot of those curing barns aren't all that stable so it wouldn't take many high winds to do considerable damage.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
From the "Tobacco Farmer Newsletter": How much flue-cured has been harvested? As of September 4, USDA estimated that 91 percent of the Georgia crop, 70 percent of the South Carolina crop, 58 percent of the North Carolina crop and 58 percent of the Virginia crop had been harvested.
The estimate is that about 150 million pounds will be lost.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Sad to say, many would feel some sort of guilt over this storm and its natural regulation on humans and their activities, but there is always next year's growing season. Prices will rise, drop, and level off.

Pipestud, as far as expert on tobacco farming, Jitterbug is our man. I am guessing that the weight is pre-production weight, which is going to seem a little high in comparison to retail weight. But, it is enough to make a difference. It's not wiping out all Virginias, but it will cause problems for many farmers, for sure. And, I imagine tobacco in the flue machines right now are at risk also. And, I bet they are full.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Latest track projections has the Eye of Florence making landfall at the North Carolina/South Carolina border and moving westward. The tip of the state of Virginia where it borders Tennessee and Kentucky will see some wind and rain on Saturday when the storm is nothing more than a depression.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone#contents

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know tobacco farmers frequently take out hail insurance, but I don't know what they do with hurricane risk. I'm tracking Florence like crazy, every four hours or more, knowing full well that hurricanes are never predictable, and what they project is only a highly educated guess. At the moment, which is about 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, the center of the predicted track comes ashore at the very southern tip of the N.C. coast and goes inland over South Carolina, which would still bring days of rain and flooding to N.C., but lower speed wind. It would keep it well south of Raleigh, at least the hurricane center, and would definitely keep it far south of Virginia itself, if that is the tobacco growing area we are talking about. Virginias are grown throughout the tobacco belt. It can't go too far south for me, the South Pole would be fine. I'm worried about our friends at smokingpipe.com there in the Myrtle Beach area; hope they have evacuated inland to higher ground well further south or north.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm with MSO in worrying about out friends at smokingpipes. Imagine the calamity in the pipe smoking world if they lose their warehouse.

brianlevine

Might Stick Around
Oct 10, 2011
My state of North Carolina reported 360 million pounds of Virginia tobacco last year. 150 million pound loss is not out of the question because the 2nd growth of the year would still be in the fields now. Of course 99% of that is cigarette leaf. As of this morning the hurricane is projected to turn south away from most of the tobacco farms here in NC but, they are going to get WET!

Status
Not open for further replies.