PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This storm has some nasty features. It looks as if it will not move through but will linger and bring a lot of rain to low lying areas. Winds can be deadly, and these could get to and above eighty mph, maybe much more. The worst danger from hurricanes in terms of human loss is not the terrifying winds but the aftermath when the winds are gone and the sun comes out ... and the flooding really starts. The flooding is much more dangerous. So take good care to hunker down and stay safe, but don't relax just because the wind has stopped. Don't, don't drive through standing water even a foot deep that can float or slide your vehicle away into deeper water. Don't try to surf or kayak on the storm effects. The water displaces all kinds of wastes, from hog lagoons to chemical stores to human waste, so don't get into the water any more than you have to. All through this storm, and all through the season, safe passage for us all.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Harvey is a dangerous storm. Winds, surge and rains all at substantial levels and a forecast track that is, frankly, as bad as it could be. (It look like it will move briefly inland, then retrograde back out over the Gulf and run along the coast to the NE. Reminiscent in some ways of Mitch, which just scoured Honduras for a long period.)
The communities north of Galveston Bay may expect catastrophic flooding, as storm surge from the bay is going going to be meeting run off from the rains. Prayers for my friends in South Texas and along the Gulf Coast.

Jun 27, 2016
Easy to buy into the hype-machine, but I would be getting out of Dodge right now if I were down there.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
25 inches of rain in two days does not sound good, stay safe and dry! My daughters family is just North of New Orleans, they say it will be ok up there.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I took the family and evacuated Corpus Christi. Headed up Northwest to Kerrville, TX. The reports I'm getting from friends that stayed home are that the brunt of the storm turned north toward Rockport and Port O'Connor. Winds in the 80's around Corpus but 135mph around Port Aransas & Rockport. Last report I heard was that the wind had taken the roof off of the local high school in Portland, TX. The bad news is they're predicting Harvey will travel inland, then loop around possibly even back out to the gulf to reenergize before heading north toward Houston. All over the next several days. The extended period of rainfall will be more devastating to lots of areas than the winds.

Jan 8, 2013
Been watching footage on tv since I got home from work. I'm all the way up in Fort Worth, so the weather is actually quite nice here tonight. But they are certainly getting hammered down south, and I pray for my fellow Texans.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Just came back in from a bowl of 965 on the porch. Hard to relax and enjoy a smoke when I'm worried about things back home. We have property on north Padre Island, reports of looting already happening in the area. The storm is still a cat 4 but is predicted to be downgraded in due time as it travels further inland. Send prayers toward Rockport, hearing of people trapped in collapsed structures. The local mayor even said those choosing to ride out the storm should write identification info on their forearm with sharpie marker earlier today. Praying everyone is ok.

Jan 8, 2013
I hope your home and property remain safe, John. Most important is that you and your family got the hell out and are safe. Possessions can be replaced over time, lives cannot.

Jun 27, 2016
Wow, it is blowing big-time down there. Flooding is probably going to be an issue over the next couple of days too.
Reed Timmer & crew getting hit with the first wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5_wav6QZo
Flying into the wall? Sierra Hotel but I think I'll pass on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7IYo2oH5kc

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
My cousin and her husband who residing near to S Anton TX-(Bandera)are becoming a bit axious lately, but I assume those mostly rural areas are hardly getting touched by this hurricane,nevertheless it might be advisable to be on watch out and have some back plans should this turns to be worse than expected.Our thoughts are with you,hoping for the best,Blessings to Y'all,Paul

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Most of my family is over in the Beaumont area. They are making preparations for all the rain coming there way but don't expect Hurricane force winds.

In the New Orleans area, the .... mayor and media has been talking about maybe 10 inches of rain coming our way because of the storm. We'll see how they do with the problems with drainage pumps they have.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Track the flooding. It's when the sun comes out and everyone sighs with relief that you want to watch closely and don't try to move around much until the water goes down.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
Friends in Corpus report no power and a boil order for city water but no major damage. They were throwing hurricane parties in Kingsville. Canyon Lake is getting lots of rain, but nothing serious yet. Rockport took a major hit. Lots of damage. I imagine that Port A could be flattened.

Jun 27, 2016
Here is another crazy video from a storm-chaser. This was a pretty powerful hurricane, hopefully the rains aren't really going to hang around until Wednesday. They are predicting another 20" of rain for some areas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31tHkUVwPGA

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Made it home this afternoon, left the wife and daughter behind until I could assess the damage. A few good size mesquite limbs are down around my home property on the west side of Corpus, but otherwise everything seems to be intact. Power is still out and a water boil is in effect for the city of Corpus. Luckily I'm far enough out to have well water. The property on the island is a different story. I haven't seen it myself but a neighbor says there's no obvious structural damage, but our lower dock is one of the only ones remaining on the canal. However, it caught a boat house and the majority of at least two other docks down the way. Sounds like a lot of cleanup in my future. Last reports I heard from Port Aransas were that only 2 of 65 boats anchored in the marina are still floating (I sure hope this is exaggerated information). However I've heard from multiple individual sources that a shrimp boat is firmly planted in Virginia's restaurant on the marina (enough separate reports that it's hard to doubt that it's true). I've seen some pictures of Rockport and it's hard to believe that the only fatality came from a candle related fire (as far as I'm aware). Cinder block walls of a local church were toppled, roofs ripped off of businesses, and plenty of houses left in piles of rubble. I'm hoping this storm fizzles and dies out to the West but forecasts are still predicting that it's headed back to drop massive amounts of rain across the region, flooding is still the biggest threat for the entire the gulf coast.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Going by what I have seen on British TV regarding this event one is given the impression that most folks in Texas live in caravans or 'trailers'. Is this the case? If so why is this...surely the worst type of housing in an area that is prone to hurricanes.
I remember the same thing when Katrina struck...hundreds of mobile homes wrecked or simply blown away. Why folk live in them beats me but if I lived in such an area I would have bricks and mortar for a home, no flimsy aluminium box for me...I'd be scared to death.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.