PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Just to get you ready for tomorrow, simnetpratt, let me regale you--and interested others--with a funny hunting story that happened to me when I was about 13. My elder brother, Jim, and I were going small game hunting; he was armed with something that could knock down a moose, and I, being a kid, had a .22 single shot bolt action.

We walked to the hunting property and split up. As I entered the woods, I saw a big bird pecking around in the shadows by a ditch. So I shot it. One bullet and it dropped. I didn't know what it was. I walked back to where my brother and I split up and saw him waiting for me. He hadn't gotten so much as a squirrel. Then I showed him my big bird, and his jaw dropped. I had bagged a large partridge. Grumbling about beginners's luck--my brother didn't like me much--we walked back to the lodge and had lunch, and prepared to go out again. Jim was not going to be outdone by his brat little brother, and he was determined to get a partridge. So we split up again exactly like before, and again as I entered the woods I saw another big partridge on a tree stump. I shot it. One shot and it dropped. This time I walked back with the bird behind my back where I met my brother--who was still empty handed--and asked him, "What was that you said about beginner's luck?" Then I pulled out the second partridge. He was furious. His face turned five shades of red while he mumbled, "Not possible. No one has that kind of luck!" That evening he went out again to hunt but didn't shoot a thing, and since I had gotten two partridges, I felt I got my bag for the day. He never did get anything, and that evening we had roast partridge with Jim continuing to grumble about beginner's luck. He had never succeeded in getting a partridge for the rest of his life. (He passed a few years ago.) And he remained furious and humbled by the fact that his little brother beat him on that day.

Just an amusing story. Good luck with those doves!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Great story!! A partridge with a .22 is no small feat, you must have the gift! I'm in Ohio- we don't have partridge but used to be lots of ringneck pheasant. Are you out west? Chukkar Partridge?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Awesome. Found out last week the dove my bro engaved on my shottie's receiver is actually a partridge. I know my bro shot a rabbit with a .22 one-handed out the car window doing about 30mph, but that will have had an amount of luck. I'm not really going dove hunting tomorrow, just wish I was. Would need a hunting license, a place and gas for the car.
I have a friend who 'hunts' doves on his acreage. Which actually means taking a cooler and a couple of lawn chairs, sitting under the power lines with his buddy and blasting the doves when they land on the lines. I guess if sitting in a deer blind and shooting a deer when it wanders by is hunting, that counts, but it would be much more fun to pad around the fields for me.
lonestar has been threatening to organize a dove hunt for years with his buddies, and I'm invited to that, but I'd still need a hunting license.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm a Michiganian: great hunting out here, especially for deer, but I haven't handled a rifle in over thirty years.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Sparrowhawk, loved your story. I live on the Allegheny National Forest and regularly have bear, deer and turkey on the property, sometimes on the porch, but I too have not hunted in years. I rely on our boys for venison.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It's a good thing for the quail around here that I don't hunt.
These little fatties are all over the place:
gambel_nedharris.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.