PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
This is my first Cob pipe. I'm underway as I write, smoking the first bowl, with Dunhill's Royal Yacht Mixture, which I haven't tried before this smoke. I'm tasting corn cob, or is that the tobacco? This is a handy pipe for short smokes, and I'll use it with my wake-up coffee. It'd be a good truck pipe, too, for on the way to work.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Cobs take a couple bowls to break in, not like briars, but to get the 'cob taste' out and burn down the wood from the stem at the bottom of the bowl. Give it a few more and you will be pleased as punch with the cob.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I kind of enjoy a little new-cob flavor with the first few bowls, like a different blend. I've learned to enjoy small pipes with prompting from fishnbanjo whose amazing collection of artisanal pipes includes many small (Groups 1,2,3). Old Dominion also makes an excellent little pipe for intermission or coffee break length smokes. I think it's called their Chesapeake. You may need something extra small to serve as a tamper with these, or use the scoop on a horseshoe nail to do the tamping.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
You picked a good cob to start with. The Huck Finn is currently my favorite. Nice balance of weight/size/no filter :)

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Can those filtered Cobs be smoked without a filter and be as good as the unfiltered pipes? I like the length of this Huck Finn, but I'm going to get a Tom Sawyer to try, too. That's also unfiltered. I see no advantage for me in a filtered pipe.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
The filtered Cobs smoke even better without the filter. Since I don't care for the woodsie taste I leave the filter in for the first bowl or two, after that, sans filter..

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I had a MM Washington in my cabinet that I put off smoking for awhile. Now I enjoy it frequently and have gone from one cob to five (Washington, Country Gentleman, Patriot, Virginia Planter and Laughing King). I removed the filters from them before the first smoke. I have a couple Old Dominion cobs that smoke well but I can really taste the reed stem when smoking them. It's not a bad taste but takes a bit to get used to at first. I had to put another rack into play to hold my little selection of cobs. :)
I also ordered a bag of MM seconds to give to friends that may want to try one.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I have not really noticed a difference regarding draw between the unfiltered and filtered with the filter removed. I just liked the idea of the lighter weight of the unfiltered given I would have been removing the filter on a filtered pipe anyways.
I also feel like there might be less surface area exposed inside the shank for carbon to accrue on an unfiltered pipe. I have never really dissected one to confirm that, but feels like more of a straight shot for cleaning with a pipe cleaner, vs. back and forth trying to hit the sides of the filtered one. Again, might be more mental than anything. I wouldn't base a purchase decision solely on that; weight was more my selling point.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
While new cobs impart a sweet, popcorn-like flavor, it should be noted that Royal Yacht is known for a particular flavor or top note that is quite polarizing - some hate it, some love it.
So are you tasting the cob, or are you tasting whatever it is that makes Royal Yacht unique....that's a tough one. I'd try something like a plan virginia flake and see what you think.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Monday I got my 2 pipe Mark Twain gift set of pipes, I love the deep dublin style bowls on these cobs. The whole series is a smart marketing move imo.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I don't know how much different the fin is from the pony but when I'm smoking something that got a lot of nic kick I'll grab one of the small bowled cobs so I don't overdue it.

Status
Not open for further replies.