PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Just bought an HS Studio Pipe from that benandci character then did some research because...well...they look similar in design to other pipes I've seen for much more money and was somewhat skeptical of their origin. As many here already know the "guy/outfit," whatever is a wee bit of a shyster. Didn't spend much and it's not an outright attempted forgery but would rather not fund that sort of character. I suppose I could cancel, haven't looked into the red tape around that yet. Has anyone here purchased one of his/their "offerings"? Bowl lined with lead and recycled battery dust mixed with superglue?
Looks harmless enough:

DSC_0285_zpsw7rporoi.jpg

DSC_0288_zps9wjlhrqx.jpg

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Wow I like it, and yes I know of the seller and have at least one pipe from them and maybe 2, I know they are both Chinese. I have never smoked em so don't know if you will go blind or not lol.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
My understanding is that the HS Studio pipes have always been marketed as such. In other words, there aren't any fake HS Studio pipes out there (at least not yet). Is that your concern?

HS, Silvercastle, Jack Su, and Road Town are all under the umbrella of one guy in Canada. I believe that most of these are outsourced to China, but then are marketed out through Canada via Benandci.
I have three that are great smokers. Love them. But, I am not sure who this guys is supposed to be copying. I've heard this before, but it all just ends up speculations. All designs are just derivatives of other designs these days. Unless you can show us what pipe this is an exact copy of. Otherwise, just enjoy it. How does it smoke?

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Cosmic, I just "won" the auction last evening but will report on it's smoking/quality characteristics. As stated above, I don't think this particular pipe is a direct copy it just seems many of their designs were borrowed from the Danish pipemakers which may just be a form of flattery. I'm going to give this one a whirl, as you and others seem to be happy with the quality and value.
I've read of claims that the pipes are actually in China not AZ. Anabelle/benandci tells me this one is indeed in AZ.
The linked thread discusses what appear to be direct forgeries from this seller:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/warning-fraudster-on-ebay-selling-counterfeit-eltangs-possibly-castellos-etc
Pitchfork,

No concern that this "HS Studio pipe" is a forgery of an HS Studio pipe. For what I paid I expect it's the real deal:)

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
A while back I saw an article stating that the owner of HS Studios was formally a tobacco merchant in China but ran afoul of the authorities because of some smuggling issues and was forced out of the business. If true, it should come as no great surprise that other aspects of his business practices might be a little questionable. In the case of the HS Studio pipes, I haven't seen any high end forgeries offered recently under that trade name. Most of what I see is artisan work coming out of China. HS Studios seems to have taken on the roll of middleman for pipes made in China by individual carvers, some of it quite interesting. Knock-offs and China are synonymous so buying expensive pipes from that source is probably not a smart idea but the artisan work they now offer is a limited risk.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
A while back I saw an article stating that the owner of HS Studios was formally a tobacco merchant in China but ran afoul of the authorities because of some smuggling issues and was forced out of the business. If true, it should come as no great surprise that other aspects of his business practices might be a little questionable. In the case of the HS Studio pipes, I haven't seen any high end forgeries offered recently under that trade name. Most of what I see is artisan work coming out of China. HS Studios seems to have taken on the roll of middleman for pipes made in China by individual carvers, some of it quite interesting. Knock-offs and China are synonymous so buying expensive pipes from that source is probably not a smart idea but the artisan work they now offer is a limited risk.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Interesting info there gloucesterman. I've a friend who does business in China, he has often mentioned the questionable practices one has to deal with as a matter of course, still loves it though.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Making money in an indecent manner is something in his blood and prison is the only place suits him.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
I should have clarified the title of the post that my concern lay more with ebay seller not necessarily HS studio.

I had assumed that benandci was the sole outlet. Apologies for any slanderous confusion.

No problemos man, we are here to discuss and help our pipe brothers. HS Studio does copy certain pipemakers style, for example, Yves Backstoner from Switzerland got his seastar rustication copied but he was more flattered than angry ;) The pipes are good quality, heck even iPhones are made in China ;) so quality is not an issue with the Chinese, it's the people who outsource work that don't want to pay more money for materials and production quality. So yes you will get the shittiest and the most well built stuff from the Chinese.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
The HSS pipe showed up today. The seller sent it priority, listing stated standard so that was nice. It looks great. Stem was very snug, maybe coming from dry AZ to damp New England created some swelling. Sanded the tenon down a bit with w/d 600 then applied some beeswax. Finish, mortise/tenon alignment and sand blast look really nice.
loaded it with Wilderness and went out for a smoke. No complaints there, even with the coated bowl. Draw is fine, passes a cleaner, not that I needed it. It is tiny though, hard to hold but nice to look at. 2x it's size would make for a better implement. The bowl is 5/8" dia X 3/4 deep. So it's good for those occasions when time may be limited (yeah, that's it, cause I can't just fill any other bowl halfway) Came with a nice, heavy felt-ish bag that is a tad short but will do when needed. All in all I'm pleased. Concerns, in this case, unfounded.
R0018513_zps0puaansl.jpg

K

klause

Good to hear - delighted you're pleased in the end, Pipedreamin.
It is a gorgeous little pipe - I hope it brings you many hours of pleasure, even if only in short bursts.

Status
Not open for further replies.