PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
44018F2A.jpg

I found this HPB among the lot of estate pipes I got. It's unsmoked but has some rough spots on the bowl, as you can see. The screw in stinger/ stem is oxidized but in perfect condition. I can't find any info on HPB and am wondering if fixing it is worth the time and effort? I think I can match the color but I wonder if that fill (the largish one) is going to still be prominent after refinishing it? Thoughts and suggestions appreciated as always.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I don't want to sound too Catholic here, but it's a mystery, isn't it?
The birds eye grain is always attractive as are no. 4 sized bowls.
Take it down to the bone, Greg. Strip that chunk of briar to bare wood. Micro mesh as necessary and then do same-same to the stem. (An unsmoked burner from the lot you bought recently on eBay is more than likely heavily oxidized and will require a mother's care.)
We've all seen the lovely job you did on that brilliant Dr. Grabow Canadian so this will be another walk in the park for you. And, unless this pipe is just flat-out butt ugly, then I think you'd best get to work.
Get busy, bud, and remember to send pictures.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Having a hard time deciding on this one to be honest. It's a nice looking pipe, other than the fills. And the size is a good one, too. I was worried that stripping it and starting over would, as was mentioned, make then more noticeable. But I almost feel challenged to try it now. :wink:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Yes, if nothing else it will, Lawrence.
They photos were originally to show the scratches. But there is one longish fill That I didn't originally notice and it's what I thought would maybe be accentuated by refinishing it. Anyway, it's going to get the re-do just to see his it goes, though I may forgo the stem initially until I see how the briar looks. The stem is oxidized but not heavily and not a tooth mark nor bit if of chatter on it either. So, you've seen the before: Stay tuned for the after! LOL

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Greg; it might be a good chance to play around with fills of your own. If it were me, I would pick out those unsightly pink gobs of putty, and mix up some briar dust and epoxy to replace them. It won't be perfect, but it should look a far cry better than at present.

And hey - if you're still not pleased with the appearance, you could always try your hand at rusticating!

Status
Not open for further replies.