How Long Does Your Average Bowl Take to Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tblanco

Lurker
Dec 8, 2012
How long should a proper packed bowl last you? I have been reading that you shouldn't smoke like a train to avoid tong bite and damaging your briar. I am just curios how long a bowl last for the old timers. Also, is it ok to leave a half smoked bowl in your briar for a couple of hours?what the threshold?

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
there's no way to say what an average bowl is. different pipes, different draws, different packing techniques and different tobaccos! One of the reasons many of us love this hobby is the variety in everything.

You should basically never smoke like a train. You are just going to burn the tobacco, burn your tongue and gunk up your pipe. Each tobacco has it's own way of being smoked but i would caution that you are not going to get any fun out of puffing like a freight train. This is not a hookah!
I always caution about leaving tobacco in the bowl. I try to never leave it for any length of time. Sometimes i get distracted halfway through a pipe and forget about it for a few hours or overnight. I just clean it out ASAP and let if dry for at least 24 hours if not longer.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
For me it depends on the leaf as much a the bowl. I can sit and enjoy a good deep bowl for more than an hour and other smaller bowl it might take me 20-30 minutes. I normally don't pack a pipe unless I know I'm going to be puffing on it for some time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke group 4,5,and sized bowls with va and vaper flakes and I get 1-2 hours out of them. I will let a pipe sit for an hour or 2 and then go back to it with no ill effects.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
All Day Long:

Grizzly6.jpg

Reactions: cntunglam

maduroman

May 15, 2010
with my mm diplomat 45 min to an hour
with my nording (i'll get to it honey when i finish my smoke), freehand, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours...

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
It depends on three variables. First, the size of the bowl. Second, the cut of the tobacco. Shag cut tobacco burns faster than plug cut and cube cut. Flake cut tobacco burns faster than cubr cut but slower than shag cut. Finally third, the manner in which you smoke. If you are a rather fast puffer versus a smoker with a slower cadence your bowl will burn faster. The idea is to establish your own cadence and don't be afraid to let the tobacco go out and relight.
Happy smoking!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hobie, That thing must eat a whole tin at once. It looks like that would take 6 hours at least to smoke, how many times have you smoked it and what type of blends do you smoke in it?

pipedude

Lurker
Jun 6, 2010
Europe
Average is 40minutes, depends on the size of the bowl. I have a small pipe I smoke during the day which takes 30mins to smoke.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
It really is widely variable, based on bowl size, cut of the tobacco, packing technique. I expect anywhere from 30-45 minutes for a bowl from most of my pipes. Flakes will go longer. GLPease blends always go on the short side. (For me, they require a looser pack to get the most from them, which means less tobacco in the bowl.)
And, yes, DGT is a real thing. But I've honestly never tasted any benefits whatsoever from letting a half-bowl sit overnight. And in order to have that half-bowl in the first place, you have to experience Smokus Interuptus, which I personally find unsatisfying.
I can't help wondering if all of this discussion is causing some folks to suddenly start worrying way too much about how they're smoking their pipes. There was a time, believe it or not, when pipe smoking was a source of relaxation and comfort. . . :)
Bob

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Finally looked at the time before starting and when I was done I was smoking it for an hour and 15 mins!! Time flys when your enjoying yourself

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I am newer to the pipe hobby, but the more I seem to get "better" at it, meaning the more I enjoy the nuances of the flavor and the relaxation I get, the longer it seems to take me. And definitely at least in my experience so far type of tobacco and bowl size play a huge role in the time it takes.

progger

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
I am usually in the 45 to 60 minute range. I have had a few bowls go over an hour and they make the reading that much more enjoyable.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been averaging 45 to 60 minutes. Being a newbie, seeing everybody else's posts, I have to say I'm doing swell. I haven't had a smoke under 40 minutes yet. I am bragging. I am proud of myself ;)

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
A average bowl usually takes me about 45 minutes. I've had some smokes take over an hour but that is a rare occasion. My smokes have been getting shorter lately since I've been packing less tobacco to keep from discoloring the rims on my pipes.

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
45-60 minutes. I'll often set my pipe down and come back to it later with no ill effect, and often for the better. I have some larger pipes that take me 90 minutes or so to go through the whole bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.