PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm adjusting to Eastern Standard Time. Frankly, I always dislike the early dark and having it feel like 10:30 p.m right after supper. It's better for me than some years. I don't think I have a heavy seasonal affective disorder, but it does help to get some sunlight on my face during the short daylight hours. I think short daylight prompted the ancient Saturnalian feasts and eventually evolved into Christian Christmas. I think there are some indications that Jesus was not born in the winter. People need something during the darkest months to keep them motivated and cheered up. Chinese culture has New Years holidays that involve a lot of banging of kitchen pans and drums to wake up the sun and make it shine longer (correct me on the details there). It's always encouraging to remember that the shortest daylight of the year is Dec. 21, so after that, despite the heavy weather, the days are getting a little longer day by day.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Usually takes a few days to get adjusted. Doesn't help that the weather in NC is going up and down at random.
I believe most theologians believe Jesus was born in the summer but nobody is sure. It's not like the Bible gave the exact date. I believe it was the catholic church that took the winter feasts and turned them into what we know as Christmas. I figure it's a good a time as any to celebrate His birth since we don't know the exact date and even then by what calendar it would have used.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Doesn't take me long to adjust. I did take notice this year of just how dark it was when I was leaving to go to work. Up at about 5:30-6:00, shower and stumble around in the dark trying to find clothes. Out the door between 6 and 6:30, then sitting in traffic until I get to the office. Sun just barely starting to peak when I walk in. It's nice this time of year when the time changes, finally. I welcome it, however, I too sit there on the couch after supper nodding off at 7 pm cause it feels like 10. Sometimes it's welcome though on a cold, blustery, winter night. Coming home to a hot supper, usually some kind of stew in the crockpot. Chicken and dumplings is a go to. Then watch a movie or read a book while I watch the fire in the logs and nod off briefly before deciding that my bed is so much more comfortable. Nope, I really don't mind the change and I welcome it with open arms after a wide open summer.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Being retired I don't have to make any adjustment. I change the three clocks which are not automatically changed but, I still go to bed when tired and get whenever. No angst for the dog as I don't change his feeding time. As short as the day is getting up here it makes no sense to change unless I have business with the contiguous states.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I actually really enjoy it. Of course, the lack of sunlight is sad (I'm very outdoorsy, and much of my winter rock climbing and running sadly migrates indoors), but I really enjoy the extra hour of sleep we get. That always provides a nice 'reset' to my internal clock, and helps me wake up a little earlier in the mornings. Consequently, I'm never in a rush on winter mornings.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I liked driving home into the sunset every day, but now it's dark instead. Had to search for my night time driving glasses. I'm also getting pretty good at playing the 20-minutes of obligatory frisbee with the dog in the dark after work. Then it's inside, dinner, and yes it feels like 10pm then.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I wouldn't mind the time change but my young son doesn't understand which means I've been waking up an hour early with him.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Takes me 1 hour.
lol! :puffy:
I don't mind the shorter days or the cooler weather we get in winter. I live in an area where we get summer and winter in equal measures, and I enjoy the different seasons and welcome the change.
I just finished installing my wood burning stove last week, and I've already had a couple of fires. I'm really enjoying it, and burning wood will give me something to look forward to as the weather cools each year. The firewood chores will give me something to do outside during the cold months. It rarely stays below freezing here for very long, so it is still warm enough to spend time outside cutting, hauling, and splitting wood if dressed warmly.
All that being said, I don't care for daylight savings time cutting an hour of sunlight off of the end of the day.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
My province doesn't change the clocks forward and back. We keep the same time year-round.

That works for me, as no one has convinced me there's any benefit to DST.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
. I think there are some indications that Jesus was not born in the winter.
*I think* the Romans collected taxes and did census counts in the summer, so if Joseph was returning home when Mary gave birth, that would indicate Jesus was born in the summer.
As for the time change, it doesn't bother me too much, but it makes my kids off for sure. Toddlers like routines as it turns out. My wife acts like it is a 6 hour jet lag, but after a few days we all adjust.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
No worries for me, either before/after my two retirements. Or now that I'm on my 3rd career. I'm like Captain Renaud in Casablanca. "Personally I will take what comes."

Status
Not open for further replies.