PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I purchased a blend called Ennerdale flake last year. It was so bad that it nearly ended the love affair between me and my pipe.... forever.
This is a truely horrific tasting tobacco. I describe it as dish soap taste.
Anyone have a moment to name a few blends that might be similar to this extremely unpleasant tobacco blend? I am in the middle of a TAD and am getting a little bit adventurous with my selection and becoming a bit nervous that I might snag onto something similar by accident.
Doing so might help keep my love affair with my pipe strong and alive.
Thank you,
- Hakchuma (tobacco in Choctaw language)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Basically, don't order anything from Gawith and Hoggarth and you'll be fine. Samuel Gawith also makes a few tobaccos similar to Ennerdale, but that should be clear on the descriptions (Kendal Cream Flake, Firedance, Grousemoor, Bracken Flake).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I love them, by the way. You probably won't encounter them, but a number of British flakes like Condor and St. Bruno also have a Lakeland-like flavor to them.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
The best way to avoid smoking Lakeland tobaccos is, whenever you find yourself with one, send it to ME!

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Dish soap? Really? I would have described it as more like shampoo, with a hint of Tide in the aftertaste.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I wouldn't stay away from G&H blends altogether, their unscented flakes are some of my favorites. Ennerdale is supposed to be the strongest scented flake so it's like a lakeland on steroids. Flakes like G&H Bright CR flake, brown flake unscented, lousiana flake are amazing and if anything there's the slightest essence in the background if you're really looking for it, but then it's hard to tell if it's almond or more of a rose, to me it's more of a nutty almond flavor. Kendal flake tastes like lemons and doesn't have the flowery taste at all to me. Also the essence totally goes away after letting it sit in a jar for a bit. Just stay away from any flake or blend from them that says it's scented.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't like any flavoring that gets in the way of the tobacco. A little walnut, rum, vanilla, or caramel is okay from

time to time, although I mostly go for non-aromatics, and then only if the flavoring is subservient to the tobaccos,

which should be high quality.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I agree with you about the abysmal flavor. It tastes like cheap old lady perfume to me. I'm glad some like it though I can't see how.

Oct 12, 2014
Send all unwanted/unloved G&H to me please! However, you need not avoid all G&H...most of the ropes have only the slightest hint of lakeland..and it disappears rather quickly.
I wouldn't write off all the SG/G&H blends..you'd be missing out on one of the best tobacco houses of all time. Hit up tobaccoreviews.com if the reviewers mention a strong lakeland essence avoid just those blends.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Welcome Hakchuma, I suggest messaging 'woodsroad' as he loves to talk about Ennerdale Flake.
Ennerdale has turned me into an avowed segregationist. Seal that crap up in a mylar bag, encase it in concrete, coat that in 3 inches of glass and you can still smell it on the UPS truck that's 2 miles from your house.
As for avoiding all G&H blends, that would be a mistake. Their offerings extend far beyond the Ennerdale WMD genre.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I made the mistake of buying some G&H flakes with the perfume. So I made the second mistake of buying some flakes without the perfume. They still tasted like it no matter which one I tried without it. Good thing my friend liked it. He liked it as much as I hated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.