PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I was browsing eBay tonight looking for a deal when I ran across an Astor "London Made" pipe. It had some good grain and clean up potential for it's measly $12.00 price until I saw this:
ruin_zps93f6dce7.jpg

That would take some pretty deep sanding and refinishing!
Has anyone done anything like this to one of his beloved pipes? Unthinkable!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
It would make for a pretty pipe on which to practice rusticating techniques. While you might be able to sand those out (depending on what kind of thickness exists at the bottom of the bowl, I'd be getting out my gouges.
-- Pat

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I can appreciate folks wanting to "personalize" their pipes, but that's a bit much! What a shame.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Doesn't look that deep. A little steaming before sanding might help. I once had a Sasieni that someone had engraved a large"O" on,almost an inch high. Refinished it and sold it to a gent in Russia.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
For $12, that wouldn't be a deal-killer at all for me. At least it's on the bottom, where it'll only be seen by pets and small children.
Bob

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
I have seen expensive firearms for sale that the stocks were mutilated just like the pipe . I wouldn't buy a firearm like that, but I would probably buy a pipe. At least it's on the bottom and you can't smoke it upside down. You're the only one that will ever know it's there.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
DW means Darell Waltrip if you like racing. :P
By reading your post it seems you saw it but did not buy it. If you bought it I like PRUSS's suggestion of practicing rustication. ++++1 to that.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There was a Comoys Blue Riband on Ebay recently that had 1957 in the ad title. I thought that was odd, since Comoys didn't date their pipes. It seems someone had scratched that number into the bottom of the pipe.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The last LHS pipe I bought on ebay has the former owner's initials on the bottom also, but they are stamped on instead of scratched. After all the sanding, buffing and refinishing they are barely noticeable. Just enough so I drink a toast and take a puff in his memory each time I pick up that pipe :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
OK, everyone please forgive me in advance. I'm going to speculate. Although this is a good grade pipe

I would expect to be owned by someone in comfortable circumstances, it could have been owned by someone

who lived or worked in a situation where theft was an hourly possibility. In the Navy I bought a jacket in Hong

Kong that got stolen from a locker at a locker club (where enlisted men had to stow their civilian clothes). So,

if I had broken for a particularly nice pipe, I guess the thought might have crossed my mind to despoil in this

way to give myself a fighting chance (which is what it would have been) to keep it. My point is, things aren't

always as they seem. As for this pipe, I think it could be sanded smooth and refinished without having to

rusticate it. It might change the shape of the bowl slightly, but it would be unnoticeable, I believe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd forgotten about this GBD, gifted to me by member "Weezel". It has the name "Ed Kollar" scratched into the bottom of the worn bowl. It was part of a box of pipes that Weezels dad inherited from one of his friends in Ohio. I googled the name and found a 92 year old Ed Kollar living in a nursing home in Ohio. I called and asked to speak to him but couldn't reach him. A few months later, I tried again and they said he had passed away recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.