PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
1. Do not reply to them; this boosts them in Google rankings, which is what they want.

2. Reply to real threads instead to boost those over the spammers.

3. You might even report the ingrates to "the authorities" around here, who are probably off somewhere having lives instead of being on the internet.
$0.02

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks, I just rec'd three PM's, but another Mod must have already zapped the threads. We forward to Kevin, who deletes & bans the cretin(s).

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Know your moderators is great advice... or as those of us who have been moderators know them: The Designated Adults.
On the suggestion that one shouldn't reply: this is not a LISTSERV.

In that case -- not a forum like this or a ye olde BBS -- the spammer's bait does not echo out messages seemingly exponentially to all members when many chime in with their own unnecessary warning, or inquiry about the spread of a virus contained within a message.
In the case of a LISTSERV, new members are prohibited from posting for several days to as much as a week depending on the size of the membership. Again, in the case of a forum or BBS, spammers can't create a tidal wave of messages to the user base. So no harm, no foul in replying.
On the other hand, when someone suffers from explosive (oral) diarrhea and writes 250 words without a carriage return... that might be reason to pause before commenting, or not commenting at all here.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Last I saw it- this morning- there were replies only to the original spam post. All were funnin' at the jerk-off who spammed us. Thankfully, no one replied to the several other posts by the spammer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't respond if you can. On Forums, sometimes "it" sounds like a bumbling newbie, and you don't want to run him out. But if your radar is good, you can just click to a different thread, and that's always best. Saves so much trouble.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
"If it ain't Wham, it ain't Ham". ~ Carey Grant - Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. It's been driving me crazy so I had to do it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Spam trivia: It's actually entirely pork shoulder, not random parts of the animal's organs, so as canned meat goes, it high quality. It caught on big time in Hawaii and other Pacific Islands during World War II. I wouldn't want a steady diet, but once or twice a year, as a breakfast meat with eggs and toast, it's tasty to me. I know some wouldn't eat it if it was the only food in town. Along with everyone else, I like the Monte Python Spam song and routines.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We're creating a new sandwich using NJ's famous "Taylor Ham" or Pork Roll as it's also known. I suggested we call it "Barely Legal Ham".

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It's actually entirely pork shoulder, not random parts of the animal's organs, so as canned meat goes, it high quality."
They say the only part of a pig you can't eat is his squeak!
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So no harm, no foul in replying.
Not quite. The higher you bump the message up the page, the better the SEO, which is why they are spamming here. We are not the audience; people searching via Google are.
Thanks to Cosmic, SS Jones, Kevin and the mods for ridding us of these lunchmeat attackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.