How to create the bevel on top of the bowl.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I've seen some people just sand down the top of a bowl. But what is the best way to get that nice bevel on the inside and outside of the bowl? do you do it by hand or do you use some sort of tool for that?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
With new pipes, the order(for me) is to level the top of the block on the lathe, drill the chamber, shape the inner bevel, cut the outer shape, sand the chamber(all on the lathe), and then flip the block to drill the draft hole.)pic attached of one I just finished blasting) If you're fixing up an estate and have sanded down the rim flat, you can take some 220 grit sort of wrap it around your thumb and twist back and forth in the bowl to ease the hard edge on the bowl. Repeat with 320 and 600 to get rid of the scratches....
wsuruo.jpg

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I wondered about this for a long time, and tried to imagine what sort of tool one would need. But Zack tells it like it is - get some paper and get to sanding!
A light touch and a lot of patience is the key. My suggestion is to buy up some Missouri Meerschaum hardwood pipes and bend them to your will. Even if you mess it up, you're out just a few bucks and still have a good smoker.

harkpuff

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
I simply form a piece of sandpaper like a cone, secure it between my thumb and index finger and shove the cone of paper into the chamber and rotate the bowl with my free hand checking the bevel until I have sanded it to the desired bevel. I start with a fairly coarse grit and then follow up with finer papers to rid the bevel of sanding marks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm tried this by hand and it's a lot harder than it looks. At least to get a good sharp bevel, ala like older Comoys or GBD's.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd have to see pix of the hand-sanded beveled rims....When I've tried it, I just get a rounded top (vs a true bevel). Show us your bevels!

Status
Not open for further replies.