PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I have a lovely Ashton Freehand pebble grain, and for a while I was lighting it with a Zippo. (Now I light pipes with plateaus with matches.) Unfortunately, not knowing any better, this has left the raw looking, heavily textured plateau dark looking and sticky, as if covered by a residue. I'm not sure if rusticated is the right word to use in describing the remarkable plateau on this pipe; rather it looks cut right from the briar, with the rest of the pipe sandblasted. This is my favorite pipe--a hard judgement for most of us to make about any of our beloved pipes--but I'm not taking any chances, so I thought I'd ask the wiser heads here for advice on the best way to safely clean the plateau. Thoughts?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Sparrow. I usually start with a slightly damp (and rung out) cotton tea towl, and then rub it lightly over the plateau and into the nooks and crannies. When one section of the towel darkens with tars and oils, I move to another section of towel. This should lift most residue. On really scuzzy tops which have the accumulated tars, oils, carbon of years, I wet and use a soft bristle toothbrush with the occasional dab of Murphy's oil soap.
The real challenge with plateau tops is that because of the uneven surface area you'll have some parts of the plateau cleaning faster and eventually leaching stain as you attempt to clean the crannies.
Hope this helps,
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I always start with just a damp cloth. I have occasionally used Murphy's oil soap on very gunked up rims. I don't use any other detergents or soaps at all.
It's your pipe, if water isn't working, you could always use a little saliva and a tea towel; spit shining works, but you have to be careful not to pull stain.
-- Pat

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have had good success with a tapered bristle cleaner folded about 1 inch on the fat end upon itself and moistioned with a good gob of spit and shine city, bristles get in the crack,when it has done its job I cut it off with wire cutters and fold back again.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That's a great tip Bradley. I'm going to give that a go on the next plateau that hits my bench.
-- Pat

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
It's not the zippo doing that. That sticky residue is from the tobacco smoke coming up and over the rim and leaving cake that builds up over time. To avoid it, you'd have to simply pack less tobacco in your pipe, I'd say only pack to about an 1/8th inch from the top, and tamp down gently after lighting it because the tobacco will expand back up. If it continues to expand up, just tamp down lightly again. Eventually, it will stop expanding. Then you'd have to wipe down your rim clean with a rag and spit after each bowl, or at least every day. Yes, I used to care for my pipes...Personally, I pack my workhorse pipe to the brim, and the entire rim is caked over thick. Doesn't bother me on my workhorse pipe, and in fact I like it, because the pipe looks well loved, but it would bother me on my brand Savinelli!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Sorry for the dumb question but what is a plateau rim? Does anyone have a pic of one?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
064A3A88-B8EA-4776-8FAC-78BF0210B5FC-12068-00001B0B96EE8F8B_zpsf8204338.jpg
For you Zon!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
There was a thread about a week ago of a pipe that had its top sawed off on eBay. Incredible but true.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I'll chime in with one of my trade secrets: the best solvent for cleaning tar from your pipe is pure lemon juice (not from concentrate), a soft Terry cotton cloth, and gentle pressure. It's neutral to finishes and stains, replenishes the wood's natural oils, is non toxic, and (particularly as opposed to bacteria-laden saliva) will leave nothing but a mild sweetness after its use.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I've used the spit and Qtip trick (not on plateau rims), and actually had the finish start coming off. Maybe I was scrubbing too hard? Just a warning if you're going to try that one

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I think I've come up with a routine for plateau cleaning as well as the rest of the stummel. Let's see what you think. First, water with oil soap, as recommended; then, instead of Q-tips, I use a faux sheep fur cloth to really go down into those crevices and surfaces; I've found this gets the gumk out. I clean the rest of the stummel the same way; the important part is the sheep's fur, which you can get at any fabric store for a song. Then a light touch of Halycon wax, which is easy to rub in and wipe off with the sheep fabric; lastly, a final thorough complete rub down with Dunhill's cloth. The result is a nice clean sheen to the pipe. The important thing seems to be the sheep's cloth; the wax may be optional. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.