PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Lawrence's post about football wagering with Kevin made me post this, for your enjoyment. You can bet on any random football game using the rules from the old Avalon Hill football board game Paydirt. It sounds confusing at first, but once you have it, you can bet on any random game even when one team is way better.
First, you each secretly pick the winner and the spread. Then, you compare your spreads. If you each pick a different team, you get your team even steven.
If you both pick the same winner (as you usually will), the person that picked them by the higher spread gets that team, but by the other's spread.
An example: I pick Green Bay by ten, you pick Green Bay by seven. I get Green Bay, but by seven. I win if GB wins by more than seven; you win if GB loses, or wins by less than seven. Winning by seven is a push.
Gamesmanship is involved - if you really want to root for a team, you can pick them by 100. You can also pick half points, ie GB by 10½. Using this rule, you can bet any game.
NOTE: This is in no way an endorsement of Green Bay, I'm a Cowboy and bleed blue and silver. Green Bay smells. Their fans are way better than my Cowboys fans though :(

But they still smell.

Aug 1, 2012
Additional suggestion. If you want to win a bet on a game, go for the one I don't like. Last 5 years I calculated it at 5:1 odds that the team I pick wins. This goes for college and pro. College odds are greater, pro odds less.

Status
Not open for further replies.