PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This would be comical if not for the fact that the brains of children are actually being subjected to this kind of crap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc3Pv5Q_AdA

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
My common core math,
Teaching to the test = fail.
Although, IMHO, the Social Studies system is the worst disaster to befall the American education system in the last hundred years. It attempts to combine a number of different fields into a cohesive lesson plan...and fails mightly. As a historian, I find it offensive. As a student, I found it tedious. And as a taxpayer, I find it yet another indicator that schools are fundamentaly focused on the wrong metrics for measuring success.

Jun 4, 2014
I just read an article that several states have dropped common core. My niece is a teacher, she has nothing good to say about common core.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I feel rather more stupid for having watched that...
Seriously, if you were writing a satire about education, you couldn't come up with something that inane. Only American bureaucrats...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Educational initiatives seem doomed to bureaucratic boondoggles, whether it is Common Core or No Child

Left Behind. Graduate programs in education have veered too far from expecting their students to have

a depth in an actual subject like history or math. Education texts at the graduate level are absurdist tracts

in rephrasing the obvious, or expanding endlessly on small ideas that could be summed up in a sentence.

People blame the other guy's political point of view, but it is more the lack of value placed on the life of

the mind and study itself. As the great designer Milton Glaser says, what a teacher teaches is a way of

looking at the world. You can't package that and pound it down peoples' throats through the Department

of Education. It's an act of faith, really, and you can't test it with a test, finally.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
9+6 is way to hard to grasp. Let's simplify it by adding 5 more components to the problem.

To quote Winston Smith: 2+2=4.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
This isn't a comment about Common Core, but what's going on in the video is actually very smart. I wasn't taught that as a kid, but that's sure as hell what I did in my head.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
This makes me afraid to go back to school and get my associates... will I have to relearn how to do simple math? This also seems like it takes more time to do problems. I can see a simple 'quiz' taking at least half a class to take, when in my school days it was probably a ten minute thing.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Educational initiatives seem doomed to bureaucratic boondoggles, whether it is Common Core or No Child

Left Behind.
Pretty much sums the situation up mso489.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Conceptually, thinking in base 10 makes sense. I was taught the concept of base number counting, be it 2, 3, 8, etc in the 3rd grade. I somehow don't think that is currently happening. My general regard for the current state of education in this country, is fairly low, from grade school to university.

Status
Not open for further replies.