PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
is there a norm for how long a pipe needs to be to be called a nosewarmer?

the reason i ask is because the poker Uncle made for me may be a nose poker not to be confused with a nose picker

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Haha, I am not sure, I do know that they are short, ive seen some that are like 3 or 4 inches long, then there are chubby's (funny name) which I believe are the next size up from a nose warmer

john

Lurker
Jun 10, 2010
What you might call nose-warmer depends on size of your nose :)

Someone will do 2inch someone not.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Opinion regarding the Brucianoso, or Nose-Warmer, an excerpt:

"What is, and is not, a nosewarmer? The most distinctive nosewarmer trait is its size. Nosewarmers are short pipes. Though there is no hard and fast length convention, most collectors agree that a nosewarmer is four and a half inches or less long. The distance from button to bowl is compressed, usually significantly. However, the abbreviated overall length of a pipe alone is insufficient to classify it as a nosewarmer. There is a difference between a small pipe and a nosewarmer.
The proportions of a nosewarmer are distorted. The diameter of the shank, the bowl diameter, and bowl capacity are similar, if not larger, than a standard size pipe. The dimensions are compressed on the longitudinal axis of the pipe. The effect of this compression results in somewhat cartoonish and caricaturistic proportions. One hears such words as “stubby, chubby, and hefty” applied to nosewarmers."

Neill Archer Roan, "The Nosewarmer Phenomenon"

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Heres a picture of mine. Its about 4 inches long

331410_338533302834671_100000340116388_1214357_664742888_o.jpg

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
As OCD reports, there's no hard and fast rule per length. The main attribute rests with the odd proportions of the pipe, eg. short shank with a large bowl. A frien showed me one earlier this week. I've never been a fan due, in part, to my odd sized nose.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
As OCD reports, there's no hard and fast rule per length. The main attribute rests with the odd proportions of the pipe, eg. short shank with a large bowl. A frien showed me one earlier this week. I've never been a fan due, in part, to my odd sized nose.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My definition is 5" or less. I really enjoy nose warmers. I have made several.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.