PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliaki

Lurker
Aug 5, 2014
Hello,
This forum is a great.
I would like to know more about your opinions about this: There are times that I know I do not have a full 20 to 40 minutes to enjoy my pipe with a full bowl of tobacco so I would rather pack less tobacco in the pipe to reach the end of the bowl in a shorter time. What do you think of this?

Or would you prefer to pack a full bowl of tobacco and put it out and relight it later?
any input is appreciated.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I solved the problem by collecting a bunch of different sized pipes. From a tsuge blowfish (10-15 min) to a huge chacom horn (60 - 90 mins) and then I just grab the right pipe for the time frame I have. If I only have one of my regular pipes I do the same as Rsuninv unless I know it will be sitting for a while. If it's the last smoke of the day I'll just do a half bowl.

Jan 8, 2013
I usually pack a full bowl and I'll finish it later. I keep a wine bottle cork that I've widdeled one end down so it will fit in my pipes. Works for most of my pipes, except a couple Nordings with huge chambers. I'll just cork it and smoke it later.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
+1 to rsuninv. I always pack full bowls, and if I don't finish it, just come back to it later.
Sometimes I'll pack a bowl in the morning, smoke about 1/2 then put it down, come back for 15 min after lunch, then finish it off early evening before dinner.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
With Va or VaPer blends it's actually a pleasant thing to do by letting the pipe go out and then relight it later. It's called DGT or Delayed Gratification Tecnique and it can make an otherwise blasé bowl of tobacco into a taste treat. It depends on what my plans are but I usually just grab the appropriate size pipe for the time I think I might have.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sometimes I'll pack a bowl in the morning, smoke about 1/2 then put it down, come back for 15 min after lunch, then finish it off early evening before dinner.
Me too ... and there's usually 2 or 3 pipes sitting in this partly smoked, ready to go condition. :)

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
With Va or VaPer blends it's actually a pleasant thing to do by letting the pipe go out and then relight it later. It's called DGT or Delayed Gratification Tecnique
+1000

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To resort to that fading cliche, it's all good. I think to get the most out of a blend in a short smoke, a small

pipe is an ideal set-up. fishnbanjo put me onto small pipes, which I thought of as toys or souvenirs. For

a short smoke, they get the most out of a blend. However, if I am working on a project and want to enjoy a

smoke on and off for the duration, or over the course of a few hours, I will pack a larger pipe and relight.

I'm surprised how a relight on a bowl that tastes spent can actually bring up the flavor in a whole new way.

Maybe the taste and fragrance are renewed by the break.

Mar 1, 2014
-anthonyrosenthal
I usually pack a full bowl and I'll finish it later. I keep a wine bottle cork that I've widdeled one end down so it will fit in my pipes. Works for most of my pipes, except a couple Nordings with huge chambers. I'll just cork it and smoke it later.
That's a brilliant idea.
If you want bigger corks check a science lab supply store, the place I was shopping at recently (used a spherical boiling flask for a fish bowl) has corks up to 30mm wide at the narrow end (a little over an inch).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I too find the "cork" solution imaginative and effective. I also use smaller pipes, MM for the most part.
I always load a full bowl and DGT later if I don't finish it.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Aliaki
Welcome to the forum
I imagine that you will get all sorts of opinions on whether or not to re-light a bowl after time passes. Some would say that the tobacco will take on a harsher flavor, say as re lighting a cigar after several hours
Clearly, having some smaller bowls for the short smoke is the deal
My taste buds are not that sensitive and I'm able to pick up a bowl hours later and still enjoy the smoke
No rules. Whatever works for you

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Like others, I too have pipes with a smaller bowl (check out Mitchell Thomas semi-churchwardens on eBay) and also have no problem lighting one and returning to it later. At work I take a pipe for the day and generally smoke the same bowl through half the day before packing another.
Dumping the ash is an imperative if you do.

thewalrus21

Lurker
Jul 26, 2014
If I'm in somewhat of a hurry, I do an air-pocket packing. It's quick, it's great, it gives somewhat of a calabash feel in the smoke. There is a great tutorial on this website on how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.