Tags:  No tags yet. 

how much is a pipe worth?

(16 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by saviorslegacy
  • Latest reply from unclearthur
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

saviorslegacy

Login to Send PM

Is there catalog of some sorts that lists the worth of different pipes. For example, I have an edition of the Standard Catalog of Firearms. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1440213933/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1440213372&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WDWMSJP5B0E488WNXCZ

Is there a book like that but with pipes instead of guns?

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Mod

Login to Send PM

There are several different books about pipes, with ton's of photos.
    However; if you are looking for a catalog... you are probably out of luck.
    With exceptions such as Peterson's, Dunhill and Dr. Grabow, virtually every pipe is unique. That is one of the (pardon the pun) draw of pipe smoking. Pipes are generally as individual as those that smoke them.

If you are curious about the basic/classic shapes there are a number of sites with charts that show a myriad of examples.
    See the third entry from Cortezattic.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. porshcigar

porshcigar

Chicago Pipe Show Honcho

Login to Send PM

Also, very good information about pipe shapes and parts here:

http://www.aspipes.org/

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. yoru

yoru

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also pipes don't really have an inherent worth -- they are worth whatever someone wants to pay for them. There are criteria to help make this decision of course -- grain compaction, attractiveness. . . mostly attractiveness really. And of course if it is a name that is more expensive, the pipe is more expensive by "virtue" of that alone.

Sincerely,

Yoru
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. chuckw

chuckw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yoru beat me to my answer. An example is a recent E-bay auction where an unsmoked gold mounted Peterson Mark Twain sold for more than $1200, more than three times it's orginal price.
    If you want to figure out what may be a good deal on a factory pipe, the usual mark up is 100% per transaction. The factory may sell the pipe to a distubitor for $25. He will sell it to the retailer for $50. You will pay $100. Artisan pipes are a different story. The cost of the stummel, the grain, whatever the artisan thinks his or her time is worth, ect. Let's take an S.Bang for example. They don't sell anmything but straight grains. There are no second grade Bang's. If a pipe doesn't come up to their standards, it is used for firewood. Imagine the cost of all that firewood added to the few pipes that meet their standards.

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My personal limit for most estate pipes is half the original retail on newer ones. Some of course are rare and command higher prices. Others are popular at the moment and also command higher prices. I wait until the frenzy is over and prices drop if I really want one of those.

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I happen to be the highest know authority on this subject, Not to brag or anything like that, Not that there is anything wrong with that,

Any pipe is worth what I am willing to pay for it and there you have it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. collin

Tommy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I paid $30 for one the other day on Ebay that turned out to be not worth keeping.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OUCH!

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. collin

Tommy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm still pretty new at this but it seems to me that the prices being paid for decent estate pipes on Ebay has gone CRAZY! And I'm not talking about the Dunhills.

Is this something that happens occasionally for no reason and then settles down after a while?

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

teamhavoc28

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've only won estate pipe on ebay yesterday. Most folks appear to go ape nuggets bidding against one another on certain items. Reminds me alot of cigar auctions. I try to go for the obscure and hope no one finds it before it ends.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. collin

Tommy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I try to go for the obscure and hope no one finds it before it ends

I wish you the best of luck then.

Having been on the prowel for those kinds of bargains myself, I'm no longer amazed by the number of late bidders who know a lot about pipes.

More than a few times I've been sitting here in the last few seconds of an auction, thinking; "OH YES,..I've got this one, it looks like nobody else knows it's a pre 19XX, WOO HOO!"
    And; WHAM it's gone.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. wolfscout

wolfscout

Login to Send PM

LOL yeah.. that's how it goes on ebay. Either you "Buy it NOW" or you risk not buying it at all. Bidding is so fickle.. it's like my first wife. And you sliding in bidders that wait till the last 5 minutes and I'm on dial-up ... well I hope you thang rots off in your sleep.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. chuckw

chuckw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tommy, I think the crazyness on E-Bay has alot to do with the economy. People don't want to spend or can't afford to spend the money for a new pipe of quality and many have learned how to refurbish an estate, including yours truley. Only 15 of my 89 pipes were bought new.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. collin

Tommy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That makes a lot of sense Chuck, a lot of sense.....and unfortunately I guess that also makes me part of the problem.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am laying back on pipes on ebay for a bit. Things seem to have gone nuts as Chuck says due to folks not buying new. Things will probably cal down eventually. For now I will work on my cellar and pipe making.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, frozenchurchwarden, kanaka95, novicemaker, andrew, jguss, lonestar