PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saviorslegacy

Lurker
Jan 20, 2011
Is there catalog of some sorts that lists the worth of different pipes. For example, I have an edition of the Standard Catalog of Firearms. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1440213933/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1440213372&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WDWMSJP5B0E488WNXCZ
Is there a book like that but with pipes instead of guns?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
There are several different books about pipes, with ton's of photos.

However; if you are looking for a catalog... you are probably out of luck.

With exceptions such as Peterson's, Dunhill and Dr. Grabow, virtually every pipe is unique. That is one of the (pardon the pun) draw of pipe smoking. Pipes are generally as individual as those that smoke them.
If you are curious about the basic/classic shapes there are a number of sites with charts that show a myriad of examples.

See the third entry from Cortezattic.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Also pipes don't really have an inherent worth -- they are worth whatever someone wants to pay for them. There are criteria to help make this decision of course -- grain compaction, attractiveness. . . mostly attractiveness really. And of course if it is a name that is more expensive, the pipe is more expensive by "virtue" of that alone.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Yoru beat me to my answer. An example is a recent E-bay auction where an unsmoked gold mounted Peterson Mark Twain sold for more than $1200, more than three times it's orginal price.

If you want to figure out what may be a good deal on a factory pipe, the usual mark up is 100% per transaction. The factory may sell the pipe to a distubitor for $25. He will sell it to the retailer for $50. You will pay $100. Artisan pipes are a different story. The cost of the stummel, the grain, whatever the artisan thinks his or her time is worth, ect. Let's take an S.Bang for example. They don't sell anmything but straight grains. There are no second grade Bang's. If a pipe doesn't come up to their standards, it is used for firewood. Imagine the cost of all that firewood added to the few pipes that meet their standards.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My personal limit for most estate pipes is half the original retail on newer ones. Some of course are rare and command higher prices. Others are popular at the moment and also command higher prices. I wait until the frenzy is over and prices drop if I really want one of those.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I paid $30 for one the other day on Ebay that turned out to be not worth keeping. :mrgreen:

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I'm still pretty new at this but it seems to me that the prices being paid for decent estate pipes on Ebay has gone CRAZY! And I'm not talking about the Dunhills.
Is this something that happens occasionally for no reason and then settles down after a while?

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I've only won estate pipe on ebay yesterday. Most folks appear to go ape nuggets bidding against one another on certain items. Reminds me alot of cigar auctions. I try to go for the obscure and hope no one finds it before it ends.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I try to go for the obscure and hope no one finds it before it ends
I wish you the best of luck then. :D
Having been on the prowel for those kinds of bargains myself, I'm no longer amazed by the number of late bidders who know a lot about pipes.
More than a few times I've been sitting here in the last few seconds of an auction, thinking; "OH YES,..I've got this one, it looks like nobody else knows it's a pre 19XX, WOO HOO!"

And; WHAM it's gone.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
LOL yeah.. that's how it goes on ebay. Either you "Buy it NOW" or you risk not buying it at all. Bidding is so fickle.. it's like my first wife. And you sliding in bidders that wait till the last 5 minutes and I'm on dial-up ... well I hope you thang rots off in your sleep. :nana:

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Tommy, I think the crazyness on E-Bay has alot to do with the economy. People don't want to spend or can't afford to spend the money for a new pipe of quality and many have learned how to refurbish an estate, including yours truley. Only 15 of my 89 pipes were bought new.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
That makes a lot of sense Chuck, a lot of sense.....and unfortunately I guess that also makes me part of the problem.
:(

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I am laying back on pipes on ebay for a bit. Things seem to have gone nuts as Chuck says due to folks not buying new. Things will probably cal down eventually. For now I will work on my cellar and pipe making.

Status
Not open for further replies.