How Much Have Pipes Changed in the Last 50 Years?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
As I am just getting back into Pipe smoking - I am just curious if Pipe's have changed that much in the last 50 years.

K

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The most obvious change is that the average size of today's pipes is larger than in the sixties. I think that the popularity of Savinelli has something to do with that. Smaller pipes were much more available back then.

The shift toward acrylic stems is another difference, along with the use of color more frequently.

Fortunately, engineering seems to have improved. I see a lot less misdrilled pipes today than in the past.
Russ

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Blendtobac:Very true,I wonder why this is so today,I'm having quite hard time to finding smaller to medium chambered pipes manufactured by renowned brands today,and especially with the Italian Artisan makers such as Castello & Radice most all those have spacious deep large bowls.My two latest acquisitions were French Ropp Algerian Briars,these were with smaller chambers, Another thing is that straight pipes seem to have a bit shorter stems fitted what it used to be back in the days.And then there is this weigh aspect, older the pipe lighter the weigh,not always but the majority of my estates weighs in less,I don't know why this is so,yet many French manufactured pipes of today seem to be lighter in comparison say to Petersons or Savinellis,

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Because I smoke at my desk, I clench, and smaller, lighter pipes work perfectly for me, especially since I lean toward a$$kicker-type blends.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pipe smoking population has decreased a lot, maybe 80% or more, I'd guess. So the proportion of artisan pipes relative to the number of pipe smokers has increased a lot. Maybe half of pipe smokers own some kind of hand carved pipe among others. Also, I think the estate (used) pipe market has become much more established and accepted. A used pipe used to be headed for the trash, unless it was something special and unusual. The proportion of exclusively OTC smokers has probably declined, though they may still outnumber the rest of us. I surmise that there is only one volume briar pipe factory left in the U.S., Dr. Grabow in Sparta, N.C. Are there any others? This is a little off the subject of how the pipes have changed, but these are influences that may have changed the pipes. The dominance of filtered pipes, mostly 9 mm, in Europe is absolute, I hear.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I surmise that there is only one volume briar pipe factory left in the U.S., Dr. Grabow in Sparta, N.C
Actually, there's one other, and it touches on one of the other things I mentioned. BriarWorks may not approach the volume of Grabow, but the unique process they use produces very nice quality pipes that are affordable for most pipe smokers. I have yet to see one of their pipes that are misdrilled, and the open airway makes them a pleasure to smoke.
Russ

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would say the Danish freehand movement had a hand in the trend toward larger pipes. I like them when I'm sitting, but when out and about, a pipe with a 1.5"x.75" chamber is perfect.

Jan 8, 2013
Actually, there's one other, and it touches on one of the other things I mentioned. BriarWorks may not approach the volume of Grabow, but the unique process they use produces very nice quality pipes that are affordable for most pipe smokers. I have yet to see one of their pipes that are misdrilled, and the open airway makes them a pleasure to smoke.
I have yet to try one of their pipes, but since they took over Moonshine Pipe Co., I've been waiting and hoping they would bring back the Deviled Egg that Jonathan Lavezzo discontinued before Briarworks took over. Now that they've brought that shape back, I may very well order one soon.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I have only anecdotal evidence for this, but I would put forth that the modern prevalence of larger bowls reflects a change in smoking habits. Due to smoking bans and social customs, most current pipe smokers I know have only one or two bowls a day or every other, as opposed to puffing all day.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Well Chilllucky, I prefer large pipes and have for all of my smoking years. Probably because, due to the types of tobacco I smoke and my smoking method, even in a large bowl, I'd only get about a 10 minute smoke out of the ribbon cuts I'm currently smoking. So, as I like a smoking session to last about 45 minutes, I have to re-fill my bowls and use about 4 bowlfuls per smoke. Larger bowls obviously help that for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'banjo got me into small pipes about four years ago, so now I have all sizes on my rack from XL to Peterson Belgique and mini-cobs. Frequently small pipes are just right for a short smoke, sampling, pipe shows, etc.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
The dominant country of origin has also changed. For a long time, England was the pinnacle of pipe making. Then, along came the Danes with their freehands. For a while now, I think Italy has been the place for great pipes, but North America is surging now. As such, preferred pipe sizes and shapes have changed and evolved.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
At the same time, you can get exactly what was available 50 years ago. I have some pipes I got in the 1960's and are indistinguishable from pipes I bought last year.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I surmise that there is only one volume briar pipe factory left in the U.S., Dr. Grabow in Sparta, N.C.
Why does everyone forget about Kaywoodie? And if you don't like the stinger, the new pipes have no stinger. Bill is personally responsible for every pipe out of his factory and many can be had for $50 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.