PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
So far my total is 46 different tobaccos (I keep a database and record each one tried, their strength, whether or not I liked them, price paid, etc.)
My recent purchases (haven't tried them all) have been:
Peterson University Flake (which I like)

Escudo (have mixed feelings on this one)

Epiphany: supposed to be based on Einstein's favorite tobacco (haven't tried yet)

Crooner: supposed to be based on Bing Crosby's favorite tobacco (haven't tried yet)
I plan on stocking up some more, but I will kick myself if I miss a great tobacco, so I keep trying new blends. My next purchase will include some Frog Morton and then I will begin to stock up on my favs, which will definitely include some EMP.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've probably missed a few along the way, but my smoking journal says that I have tried 146 blends so far. A drop in the bucket for 33 years of pipe smoking! But, then, I do like returning to favorites often.
Bob

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Man, I'd have to guess about 25. I think I'm starting to get a good feel for what I enjoy. It's curious sometimes on how much of a miss it is though sometimes. A recent tin which should have been perfect for me has been kind of a dog, but I'm trying it a few more times before I jar it.
I should note I've only been smoking about 10 months.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
I haven't kept track like I should but I would guess around 25 give or take.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@rmbittner
tried 146 blends so far
Wow! 8O
A recent tin which should have been perfect for me has been kind of a dog
I've tried a few tobaccos that I thought would be ideal for me, only to be disappointed. I guess that's why I keep trying more.
I also just bought some Bob's Chocolate Flake - haven't tried that yet either, but hopeful!

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I would say about 25 myself give or take.
Number six I would love to hear more about your thoughts on escudo. I love that blend.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I've never logged tobaccos I've tried, but after being into pipes for more than 10 years and never finding one blend to stick with I can estimate I'm in the 40-50 range. My current cellar has over 25 different makes, but many I haven't tried yet. (Black House is the only one I've stocked up on that I smoke regularly, FWIW...) Whenever I order, it's rare I don't order 1-2 tins of something I've never tried. Usually based on what I read on this forum...
That was a very long way of just saying "beats me"...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Number six I would love to hear more about your thoughts on escudo. I love that blend.
Well I am on the fence right now as I only just got my tin a few days ago and it's my first VaPer. The spiciness of the perique is something I am not too sure I like but I cannot really judge it after only a few bowls.
I will likely let it sit in a jar for some time and try again.

Aug 14, 2012
I am not nearly as systematic as numbersix. I don't know how many. Maybe around 50. If I miss a good one, no problem, there are many other good tobaccos here.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just checked my cellar inventory, and I currently have 32 blends there that I haven't tried yet. So, assuming I get to them before I leave this world, I should at least be able to hit 175+ different blends in my lifetime.
The problem is that there are another 70-some blends in the cellar that I already know I do like! And sometimes I just want something familiar.
Bob

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have tried about 25 different blends now. I am slowly finding what I like and what I do not.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I don't keep track. I know what I have smoked, when its brought up. I can tell you whether I liked it or not. Never thought to keep track of the numerical value.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm sure you're tired of reading about how long I've been at this pipe smoking thing,but it's a lot of years.In old days I traveled a lot.Every place I went I tried to find a smoke shop.I usually tried to find a blend or two that I hadn't tried before.My guess is I've tried around 300 blends.To be honest Most of them I didn't like very much.These days I stick with a few blends that I know I like.Now and then I still try a new one though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never kept an official list but if I had to guess it would be somewhere around 150 or so. When I first began smoking a pipe, I was all over the place and was trying everything I could get my hands on. I must have smoked at least 50 different English blends alone. Now I only try new flakes so I am fairly limited in what I try. I am sure I have smoked around 50 different flake tobaccos and have settled on a rotation of around 25 of those. The category I have smoked the least of is aromatics with only 15 or so of those.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I log all my puffs, but my database has 2 sets of entries, with the primary log at about 1000 blends. Some of these haven't been popped yet, but I also log blends I sample at events and pipe clubs. I haven't checked lately, but there are several hundred of those. So the net total probably evens out.
As to different blends, quite a few shop blends are relabeled McClelland bulks and the like, so there is some duplication. I do enjoy playing the sleuth and trying to figure out the real identities of the mystery blends. No, I'm not really a promiscuous person, but I do like my variety.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.