PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfriess

Lurker
Nov 16, 2016
Kind of a newbie question, I just started smoking a pipe and have begun to try different tobaccos. My question is how many different tins of tobacco do people have on average at one time? Just want to make sure I don't buy a bunch, open them all and have some dry out or go bad before I get a chance to use them.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I'm on the "small" side of the spectrum here on the board, but I've around 30tins, I actively smoke about two to three at a time. If I don't find myself going through a tin quick enough I jar it.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I don't like buying tins. I prefer bulk. (Unless it's a very specific blend EMP and Nightcap being on the list.) I feel like I get more for my dollar when I buy bulk. That said I am on the very small end of the spectrum. I only have about 3-5lbs jarred right now.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Dfriess, I have about 12 "tins" open at any given time. I put tins in "" because when I open a tin I immediately put them in small Mason jelly jars. This keeps the baccy fresh and available when I smoke it.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
27 unopened + 12 jarred. The jars seem to keep for a really long time! Too many - most of the 27, maybe 20 or so are things I've still never tried!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Around 40 or so plus a bunch of bulk. But simply don't open them all at once. I usually have 4-6 tobaccos going at once some from tins, others from Mason jars. No problem.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm guessing that I have about 30+ tins open right now. I rarely smoke the same thing twice in a row but things may have gotten a bit out of control. I need to work on that.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I have 7 or 8 tins open. I echo what's been said, put the tobacco is small mason jars and you won't have to worry about it drying out. I've also found that storing an open tin in a Rubbermaid type container will keep it fresh for months.
I'm trying to have fewer open tins but I feel another tin opening frenzy coming on...

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Seven open and a few hundred unopened. I get on kicks and will smoke the same blend for a couple few weeks. Right now stuck on Savinelli 140th Anniversary. I am impressed with it.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I also jar all tins once opened. Between trading for cigars an gifting an some vets I visit. I'm down to about 150 or so. Jarred about 50lbs.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I may have around 20 tins opened (but jarred, of course) at one time; I enjoy having a few options available in my favorite sytles of tobacco, as my cravings can change daily. I'm not sure the exact number of sealed tins I have cellared, because I add to my collection when I can afford it, or if I'm lucky enough to find a blend that I really enjoy and that's normally difficult for me to abtain.
It's a modest cellar of perhaps three plastic totes worth.
Hope this info helps.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

This question gets asked a lot, but you're new so you're forgiven. You'll find a wide range of answers. I think I went up to about 30 at one point, but it settled around a dozen or so a couple years ago. I only smoke a couple bowls a day usually, so a dozen is enough to keep from getting bored. I think I would have more open at a time if I was smoking more?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I only smoke 2 tobaccos. When I first started I bought as many different kinds as I could. After a year or so I figured out that I only like burleys, and only been able to regularly smoke around two or so blends. So I've been slowly giving away the blends I don't like and adding more of the two I do like. Simplicity at its finest.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hundreds of tins, but they only represent around sixty blends. I always have one of each available, but they are placed in jars as soon as the tin is opened. Around 180 pounds of bulk in jars.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I've got about a dozen or so different tins/jars open, I keep 5 or 6 favorites always on hand and rotate in and out several more as availability and whim allows.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
If you're asking about open tins at any given time, then I have, according to thepipetool.com, 23 pounds currently open. Yeah, I have issues. But in my defense, I did not open 23 pounds worth of tins to get here. Lots are jarred bulks, and lots I acquired during cellar sell-offs. Open tins probably account for only 1/4 of that. If you're asking about how many tins I have cellared...well, I'd rather not say.... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.