How Many Prefer Plum Pudding To Penzance?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Personally, I'm a sucker for bread pudding, especially with a good brandy sauce. I haven't tried plum pudding so I can't really comment on it. Rice pudding is pretty good as well, especially at the various Indian restaurants that I frequent.
Does anyone here have a good recipe for plum pudding, rice pudding, or bread pudding? And do you like them better or less than Penzance?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've never had plum pudding although I enjoy Seattle Pipe Clubs Plum Pudding. As for Penzance I also enjoy that on occasion, but I've never ventured yet on trying to eat yet, nor do I think I ever will, so I obviously can't give any comparison!

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Here you go...but if SPC Plum Pudding becomes a unicorn blend now, I'm gonna be a bit peeved. :nana:
Superb English Plum Pudding
INGREDIENTS

Fruit Mixture (To be made 4 days ahead)

1 pound seedless raisins

1 pound sultana raisins

1/2 pound currants

1 cup thinly sliced citron

1 cup chopped candied peel

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon mace

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 pound finely chopped suet - powdery fine

1 1/4 cups cognac

Pudding

1 1/4 pounds (approximately) fresh bread crumbs

1 cup scalded milk

1 cup sherry or port

12 eggs, well beaten

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

Cognac
PREPARATION

Blend the fruits, citron, peel, spices and suet and place in a bowl or jar. Add 1/4 cup cognac, cover tightly and refrigerate for 4 days, adding 1/4 cup cognac each day.

Soak the bread crumbs in milk and sherry or port. Combine the well-beaten eggs and sugar. Blend with the fruit mixture. Add salt and mix thoroughly. Put the pudding in buttered bowls or tins, filling them about 2/3 full. Cover with foil and tie it firmly. Steam for 6-7 hours. Uncover and place in a 250°F. oven for 30 minutes. Add a dash of cognac to each pudding, cover with foil and keep in a cool place.

To use, steam again for 2-3 hours and unmold. Sprinkle with sugar; add heated cognac. Ignite and bring to the table. Serve with hard sauce or cognac sauce.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
^^^ But, is it better than Penzance, and how well does it stay lit? Seems a bit moist to pack in a pipe right off.
Hey... I'm not the one who asked for the comparison of various puddings to a tobacco blend!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Listen I know of this place that has the best plum pudding, it's like from the first bite you'll be in a state of total nirvana, I just don't want it to become the next big thing so I can't get it. Good luck though.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm a sucker for bread pudding, especially with a good brandy sauce.
+11 ... delicious!!
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup raisins

1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons bourbon or brandy

12 ounces fresh French bread, crusts trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 1/2 cups milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup whipping cream

3 large eggs

3 large egg yolks

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
PREPARATION:
Combine raisins and 1/3 cup bourbon in small bowl. Soak for 30 minutes. Drain.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place bread in large bowl. Whisk milk, 3/4 cup sugar, cream, eggs, 2 egg yolks, vanilla and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend. Pour egg mixture over bread. Add raisins; mix gently to coat bread. Transfer mixture to 9x5x3-inch glass loaf baking dish.
Cover baking dish with foil. Bake pudding 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top is golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes longer. Cool slightly.
Melt butter in top of double boiler set over simmering water. Add 3 tablespoons bourbon, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 egg yolk. Whisk until mixture thickens slightly and candy thermometer registers 160°F, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Cut hot or warm bread pudding into 6 slices. Transfer to plates. Spoon bourbon sauce over each portion and serve.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Another Penzance thread!!! Love a good bread pudding, used to often make it with leftover Brioche style rolls. Another tasty variation, use the Italian Christmas bread Panettone adding Marsala to the mix, think bread pudding meets Tiramisu!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I enjoy bread pudding, but not with raisins. I do not like raisins in my oatmeal cookies either. In general, I detest raisins. However, I like raisin bran cereal. It's weird, I know.

I've never liked pudding of any sort. Is it just a wet cake or a drink too thick to swallow, blech. Gooey.

I've also never been to Penzance. You did mean the UK one, right. I may have driven through Penzance, Mississippi at some point, but not enough to see whether it was as disgusting as pudding or not.
My dislike for puddings has also made me reluctant to try one of the tobaccos with the name, but I do like plums.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
@Cosmic I know pudding in the US means some kind of soft mousse, but don't be put off by all the other traditional puddings! It traditionally means something boiled/steamed in a muslin bag or more commonly nowadays a 'pudding bowl' like the plum pudding or christmas pudding. It can refer to savoury puddings such as 'Steak and Kidney Pudding'

like this one here
These days in the UK and Ireland (and some British Canadian families :)) it can just mean any desert too.
Although I have to admit Bread and Butter pudding can be a bit of an acquired taste, Christmas/Plum pudding is one of my favourites, I am making mine tomorrow with my daughter on our 'stir-up Sunday' - an old British tradition where each family gives the mixture a stir for luck for the new year! It sits and develops flavour over the next two months! (feeding with more Brandy or Rum is optional if it starts to dry out!)
@rhoadsie nice recipe- hope it tastes good this Christmas! Mine is fairly similar but includes prunes (dried plums - hence the name) often in the older recipes. We have ours with a Brandy Butter - a kind of more solid sauce that melts over the top - I have a recipe if anyone wants...
Still only October and this thread has me excited about the Holiday season already - .....Now when do I crack open my Christmas tobaccos?? :wink:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Enjoyed blood pudding (black pudding) as a youth when I visited Scotland, but stateside, corn, bread, and plum puddings are my kryptonite during Thanksgiving.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Brandy Butter sauce- could that be the "Hard Sauce" I ate as a kid? Along with Christmas pudding and Apple Brown Betty. It certainly had butter, and brandy, probably some sugar, then chilled. Now I am drooling....

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
@jpmcwjr
Here's my recipe for Brandy (or Rum) Butter - makes about 300g - It's dead easy!
125g (4oz) unsalted butter

125g (4oz) Icing sugar

25g (1oz) ground almonds

60ml (2 oz) Double Cream (50% fat natural cream - Heavy cream the nearest thing in the USA I think)

45ml (1.5 oz) Brandy (or Rum)
Beat the butter in a bowl until really soft, then gradually beat in sugar and ground almonds. Gently work in the cream
Beat in the Brandy (or Rum) 1 Tablespoon at a time; If it shows signs of curdling beat really vigorously
Cover and refrigerate. Remove around 30 mins before serving to soften. - Goes amazingly well with Christmas/Plum pudding or Mince Pies etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.