PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How many pipes do you take when you travel? Obviously this varies a lot depending on

the length of the trip and how many bowls a day you intend to smoke. For most trips

up to two weeks, I have found that four pipes cover the need. This may sound like few,

but traveling often provides fewer opportunities to smoke, hence requires fewer pipes.

Also, it's wise to spare down the space and weight required. I always take them in my

carry-on pack with toilet kit and pills, etc., to keep them at hand. As I've mentioned before,

they don't seem to be a problem going through security. My only problem there has been

my harmonica(s) which look to an x-ray like a pistol clip, with the chambers looking like

the chambers for cartridges. I tend to take mid-range pipes (from my point of view) so as

to have an elegant smoke but not risk my best briars.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Four or five plus pipe cleaners, tools and a tobacco knife and two oil skin tobacco pouches along with a selection of lighters/matches.

Hmmm... this gets me to thinking... What if I just buy one pipe, maybe in the $100 range, something interesting, something that goes with black socks and sandals, and smoke it and only it while on vacation. Just smoke everything in it, all day, every day of vacation. Lots of pipe cleaners. Let it be part of the whole vacation concept. A honeymoon with the pipe (and family, of course). And, then toss it into a slot on the rack when I get home to just rest for a year.
I mean, I always end up with a floppy hat, mirrored sunglasses, or sandals that I'll never wear again after a vacation. Why not a pipe? Too bad places don't sell souvenir pipes. Like, "See Rock City" painted on the side. Ha ha...

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
2 fresh cobs, a bic, and a Czech tool. Smoke the hell out of them without worry of losing or damaging your beautiful briars or tampers.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I pack a few pipes in the front compartment of my laptop/book messenger bag. It's fairly roomy, enough for writing utensils, ipod, chargers, checkbook, a max of four pipes and a tobacco pouch. Tins of spare tobacco would be elsewhere in my luggage. Four will do it for any trip, as I'm always able to give pipes a decent rest if I have three or four of them, and trips being specially occasions usually means more than the usual number of cigars thrown in.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I'm traveling right now, I took seven with a tin of White Knight, a tin of Old Gowrie, and Gawith navy flake. But my travel is usually in a car, so space is really not a concern.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I usually pack 3-4 cobs that I smoke regularly and 2 briars for nights out or for special occasions where a cob might not go with the outfit. Of course I also pack a pipe tool, cleaners, and other necessities.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
1 MM Cob

1 Falcon stem

4 Falcon bowls
If I'm going somewhere "nice" I pack a briar to smoke on the balcony or patio.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
4 pipes seems about right to me. My issue tends to lie with tobacco choice for the holiday, especially if I am crossing international boarders. I want to take a variety of tobaccos when I am on vacation so I have a good selection, but I also do not want any left over at the end. This way I can take advantage of duty free allowance's when coming home.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Maybe I'm a nut, ok, no maybe about it, but since on weekends in the summer I travel to the Hampton's in NY, I take my large smoking holster's pipe bag and load it with at least 6 pipes. As far as tobacco is concerned, I try to fit in the bag the mason jars of four types; two lat blends and two Va's. Four jars is hard to fit, so sometimes I will transfer some tobacco into plastic baggies. For a short weekend, no damage to tobacco, if there is any left!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We're leaving Tuesday for my youngest daughters wedding in New Orleans than some beach time in Florida. I'll take six pipes for that trip and three blends. My son-in-law to be smokes a pipe so I'm sure there will be some pipes at the reception. (I have an unsmoked 1960's GBD lovat to give him as a wedding day gift) I'm hoping to meet some New Oleans club members on the trip as well (members here).
I have a six-pipe Smokin Holsters bag but I'll take this smaller, four pipe bag which will also hold six in a pinch.

My pipes travel with me in a carry-on. I'm a Panicky Pete in the plan and I'm not sure my Smokin Holsters bag won't get jostled/smashed. So, I ordered this Foam "Smokers Case" from Ebay to carry on the plane. It will hold six smaller pipes (I always carry small pipes for travel use as time is limited) in bags safely. $8 on Ebay.

My wife just shakes here head at my pipe travel preparation, it took about 10 minutes to pack my clothes...

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
My wife just shakes here head at my pipe travel preparation, it took about 10 minutes to pack my clothes..
Al
Sounds just like me :)
Enjoy your daughter's wedding.
Do you have a 'father of the bride' speech prepared yet?

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I have a MacBaren two pipe case that holds pipes, a couple of ounces of two favorite BM blends, pipe cleaners, tool and two lighters. I only s.one at night, so for week long business trips this is perfect.
RD

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, all set, will present the unsmoked GBD at the time of the speech. Seems they do speeches now at the rehearsal dinner. I was married 34 years ago yesterday, they did it differently back then!

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I use a travel hard case that holds at least 7 pipes plus tobacco and cleaning & polishing accessories for the pipes. The hardcase I pourchase at home depot and I added some foam boards to protect my pipes. It's deep enough to place 2 or 3 2oz. jars. I over do it but I like to have more choices cause I can change my mind when I get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.