PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Thinking about it today, I've been missing some of my pipes. I've been smoking a pipe for almost 4 years now, and I have 3 pipes that I can't find. That makes it about 1 pipe a year almost. A Dr. Grabow lark, a Capri, and a corn cob. Good thing for PAD huh? How many pipes do you guys lose annually? Lol

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
So far I have one, a 4 digit Kaywoodie bent bulldog. I've been putting it aside for years because the stem was overclocked. There was a thread about fixing it here a few months ago and it gave me the motivation to try to fix it. Now I can't find it for the life of me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
None, but I mostly smoke at or near home. I have misplaced pipes, and it drives me crazy, but I locate them. I'm the resident "finder" for my wife who tends to mislay things. I even found her hubcap that had spun off out in the neighborhood.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Two that I can think of. I still believe they are in this house somewhere. Both, oddly enough are Dunhills. If I find them, my Dunhill collection will be two!

Mike S.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Lost three pipes I got 50 years ago, one was a cracked Dunny, but of great personal value, the other a black blast bent billiard Pete military mount, and the third was a smooth Barling billiard. Since I resumed a few years ago, none. (that I can recall!)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
None, although I've misplaced some. I have a bad habit of falling asleep at my worktable; on waking and learning a prize pipe is missing, I check the floor where I fell asleep, even the round file next to the desk. Invariably it's in one of those two places.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
My first pipe was from Racine and Laramie in Old Town San Diego. I haven't seen it in a while. If it isn't in a box somewhere it got lost over the course of four PCS moves. My second pipe came from a pipe shop in Bahrain. It was a great pocket pipe that I smoked all the time. I had a bad habit of taking it out to the bars while I was stationed there, and it no doubt wound up in someone else's possession after I left it at a bar on a blurry night. I can account for every other pipe I have obtained. Not hard given there are only three briars I still have and a cob I just gave away to a budding piper.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Do broken pipes count? Many years ago I used to play a lot of pool. I had a bad habit of keeping a pipe in my left trouser pocket. Every once in a while, as I leaned against the table to take a shot, I would hear SNAP, and think, oh shit not again!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I love to reminisce about the pipes I lost over the years. There was a Pete K&P stamped Churchwarden that was a gift from my late wife, back in the 80's. I lost it in 2005. And I had a meerschaum cheroot holder, that had a carving of a horse at a trot atop it. It was huge, another gift. That one went missing around 1995. There were a couple of 70's vintage Yellowbowls and Dr. Grabow's that I lost back in the 80's too.

Then the ones that got away, like a Missourri Meerschaum bent bulldog, that I gave to my son. He lost it. And a beautiful freehand Edwards from the seventies that cracked right down the bowl in mid-smoke. I tossed it in a dumpster.

Dropped a nice LePeltier bent billiard, all white, with an extra large bowl. Shattered into a million peices. That was a great pipe too, and they don't make that shape anymore.

I still have 110 pipes, however. So don't mourn for me, lol.

Jun 4, 2014
It wasn't so much lost as destroyed, I was sitting on the back deck smoking a new MM Legend when for some reason I was called away. I set it on the table and went inside, later it started to rain, it kept rain all the next day. When I realized I left my pipe outside the damage was done.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Since actually smoking a pipe, I've never lost one. However, I used to "dabble" and only periodically smoke a pipe. There was one tiny bowled pipe that I used to keep in my glove box that I have not seen since I decided to pick the pipe up seriously. But, it's only been a year and a half since then, so I have plenty of time to discover that I can lose a pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have "lost" a few pipes to the fishing gods, chainsaw, and underfoot. I have never lost a pipe as in, I can't find it.
I know where and under what circumstances I "lost" a pipe. This is why I take only cobs, the "disposables of pipes", fishing, camping, gardening, etc.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
lost one 50 years ago & have never gotten over it - given to me by my father - a very large heavy rhodesian large 2" outer diameter bowl engraved all around with an incredible stem - so good tasting i could taste the tobacco i last smoked in the pipe whether it was erinmore , 3 nuns or london dock - the best burley at the time .- left it at a cousins friend's house called for the pipe " no pipe here " yeh !!! - it still eats away at me.

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
I've lost 3 (Ser Jacopo,Dunhill and Tracy Mincer). A friend was supposed to bring it home for me but somehow got lost along the way.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
One Dr. Grabow Omega I left on a tee box at a golf course. I left a couple at my bar, but they all know me there and I recovered them next time in. Great place, good people, shuffleboard haven as well

Smoking allowed!

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have only lost one pipe, it was a (MM Country Gentleman) cob, and I lost it somewhere while I was on travel, working in the desert of Arizona.

I don't mourn the loss of the cob quite as much as I do the tortoise shell Forever Stem that was attached to it.

Oh well, easy come, easy go...

Status
Not open for further replies.