PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I am working on building my cellar. Unfortunately many of the tins i have i only have one and not tried them as of yet. I dont get to smoke that often and the 6lbs i have will probably last 10 years. It will take forever to try all these blends. I have starting stocking up on tobacco i truly love such as Penzance and escudo. There are a couple more blends i plan on having more than one tin of like the Frogmortons. I guess my question is do you have a lot of tins of a few blends, or a few tins of a lot of blends? I think many of us have more tobacco than we will ever smoke, so why do we stock up?

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I consider myself mostly a depth smoker. I find a blend I like and order lots of it. There might be thirty different blends represented in my cellar, and I could get away with ten if I had to, and probably a half-dozen if I had a gun to my head. Sampling every blend, especially when so many of them are just bad iterations of blends I already have and like, just isn't for me.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Easterntraveler yo have 30 different blends? How many of each do you have? I think i am at around 30 different blends, but mostly one tin or jar of each.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I have 1 or 2 tins of a couple however at lease half a pound of each if not more. Dunhill Royal Yacht 30 tins along with escudo. Most tinned tobacco consist of about 10 tins. I also have 4 pounds of a single blend. My cellar has 36 pounds as of last week.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I have 1 or 2 tins of a couple however at lease half a pound of each if not more. Dunhill Royal Yacht 30 tins along with escudo. Most tinned tobacco consist of about 10 tins. I also have 4 pounds of a single blend. Most if my tobacco is jarred. My cellar has 36 pounds as of last week.
Old picture but this will give you an idea. This is about 25 pounds.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Hereis my cellar currently. You can see how not a lot is repeated.i think i would like to try most of the blends that i have not, and either decide to buy more or get it out of my cellar. I think i would like fewer blends but more tins. I know positively that Penzance, Quiet Nights, Escudo, all the Frogmortons, Germains Special Latakia Flake, Bowlegged Bear,and most likely three nuns will be in my cellar in quantity.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Twelve different blends at 3 to 4 pounds of each. Have multiple tins not yet considered cellar material as I have as of yet not decided if I like them well enough to stock up on. Right now, MacB Plumcake is ranking very high, so very likely to be my next to bulk up on.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
One of the first good lessons I figured out on the forum, I never order less than 3.... it's kinda of a mild OCD thing. One to smoke, an even number to store and if I like the tin I opened I'll order three more so ill have five to store and again same ratio of smoke to store. This sounds more OCD than it is ;) currently I have around a dozen to try and and a bunch of single tin aged to try where duplicates are unlikely. This is all quite fun n interesting. I was once a wine buff but there your talking many hundreds of $ and lots of bottles. Here you can crack a tin and store. No need to "finish the bottle".

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I always order more than one tin of a new blend. :mrgreen: Probably far more normal than you think. Try it out, and if you like it, the beginnings of a cellar for that blend. :wink:

I have a lot of blends, but mostly stuff I bought to try. I only have about twelve that I have actually stocked up on. Stuff that I am certain will really improve with age. But, I still keep buying two to three tins of this and that to try latter.
I am constantly trying to balance between smoking more, so that I can try out all of the backstocked tins that I want to try, and smoking less, so that I don't have a heart attack, ha ha. I would like to buy more of what turns out to be great, but I can only smoke so many pipes in a day. :puffy:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I think many of us have more tobacco than we will ever smoke, so why do we stock up?"
This reminds me of a question which someone once asked of W.C. Fields upon seeing his vast cache of liquor. The question was along the line of: "Gee, Bill, why all this liquor? Prohibition ended years ago." His response was sweet and succinct: "It might come back!"
For many of us the answer to the OP's question would be that of Mr. Fields, but reversed: "It might be prohibited!"

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Oh Id say I have about 20-30 blends that I mosey through right now I'm in a big Va and VaPer mode so my Orlick, Escudo, Saloni 633 and Frog Morton stuff is getting a real work out. I go in a circle this summer I'll be dabbling in some new English stuff like the HH Latakia Flake or the Old Dark fired with some standbys like My Mix 965, Early Morning Pipe, The Aperitif ect ect. Aromatics are something that my collection is lacking I have a few that just sit there for guest to try when they come over. Oh one that every English tobacco smoker should get is C&D Star of the East, Now that's a tasty English.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Only got 6 blends but luckly do have PS LBF and Dunhill nightcap among them.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm still in the process of learning what I like, so I'm trying to limit both breadth and depth. I've been sampling blends in the different major types (Aromatics, Latakia-forward blends, Va/Pers, Burleys), and I'm just about ready to start in on straight Virginias. As I find the exemplars in each "family", I'll stock up - Burleys turned out to be my first cellaring blends as the ones I liked best turned out to be available in 14 oz tubs (Sugar Barrel and Prince Albert). I stocked up on some Escudo last year, and will get more this year.
All told, I've got about 5 blends that I'd consider "cellared", with an eye on at least two more. I've got open tins or jars of 4 of those (I stashed 8 oz. of Russ Ouelette's 2014 Holiday blend on a whim), plus about a dozen more samples or single tins that I have jarred for consumption. And there are at least a half-dozen unopened tins for future sampling and consumption sitting on my shelf, mocking me... :D

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How many blends? Too many. I have no idea how much I have stashed away, though I would guess it's in the range of 40lbs. More than I will likely ever smoke at the rate that I'm smoking. If I buy anything new it will be one tin to try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Only about three dozen, many unopened, and including dribs and dregs, and baggies and pouches, and jars,

and a third of a can of Granger and an unopened Half&Half. And my much doted upon Tabac Manil Semois

in its paper wrapper in a large mason jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.