PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Does anyone know approximately how many bowls you would get from an average size pipe, from a 50 gram tin of ribbon cut tobacco. Say something like Dunhill Elizabethan mixture or 1-Q?

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
My bowls usually take about 2 gram of tobacco. A 50g tin would be sufficient for 20 bowls. My pipes mostly have smaller chambers but a few of them accept 4g of tobacco which would mean I get only 12,5 bowls out of a 50g tobacco.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Forgot to exclude the tobacco taken from a 50g tin to mix with other blends, ofcourse 50 / 2 = 25. :)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It depends on the size of the bowl in your pipe, but 2g sounds about right as an average. There was an online tool somewhere that you could calculate how many bowls you could smoke from your cellar, and how long it would take you to go through it all.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Over the years (been on the forums since 2010) it seems people tend to say that an average bowl can fit roughly 3-5 grams of tobacco. If you go by minimal of 3 grams then a 50 gram tin will work out to be roughly between 15-20 bowls. I typically have a bout 2 bowls a day and it usually takes me about a week of only having that blend to get through the tin. I try and get through a tin once I open it, because here in Las Vegas if you leave a tin open even in climate controlled house environment it'll dry out in about 3-4 weeks and these days I don't really want to have half of it and throw half in yet another jar to take up more room in my cellar away from blends I'm trying to age.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you get roughly 20 bowls out of a $10 USD tin (for those lucky enough to buy at that price) you can see how this compares to cigars. This isn't the only, or even the primary reason to smoke a pipe, but it certainly recommends it. Where taxes drive the prices much higher, this only makes the pipe more impelling.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
In my head I count on 15 but I like to underestimate and in fact it is probably a couple more. If I wasn't so lazy when it comes to smoking a pipe I could have it dialed in! But, you know, leisurely activity and all.

I reckon about a buck a smoke though it is probably a bit less.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I read that 3 gm. is a good standard to go by. That's what you're given in a Slow Smoking competition, too.

Cosmic is right, as usual.

I avoid tin anxiety and buy my tobacco in bulk. It works fine and I don't worry about waste, or depriving myself of exclusivity.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I counted the bowls I got from a tin of Royal Yacht. 23. My pipes are average in size, maybe slightly less. Billiards and bulldogs with chamber sizes averaging approximately 18 x 38 mm. Which is about a group 4 I think, maybe a large group 3.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No idea. I smoke a lot of different size bowls and a variety of tobacco cuts. When the tin is empty, I throw it away and open something else. 15 to 20 for flake and broken flake sounds about right.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Two and a half to three.
20180811_233952.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: jcarne and Worknman

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
It depends obviously from the size of the pipe but also on how it is packed. One of the most important thing I learnt is that it is much better packing moderately loosely rather than tightly as it delivers more full flavor, less relights and less chance of biting. Said that I would say a medium size pipe packed moderately loosely loads about 2 gm of ribbon cut (and last 30-45 min) and 2.5-3 gm of flake and last 45-60 min.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I recorded how many bowls to get through a tin of McClelland 40th and I got 42 bowls. I just needed to know how to ration my supply. I smoked it in 7 different pipes but most of the tin was smoked between my 3 favorite VA flake pipes which are @group 2-3 size bowls. My next "tin log" should include how many minutes of smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.