PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a variety of tobaccos in my stash, maybe 70 or so. I smoked a lot more blend in the process of deciding what I wanted to stock. I would guess I've tried something in the neighborhood of 350+ blends.
Compared to many in the community, that's not a lot. So I'm curious to know how far and wide you have traveled in your search for your favorite blends.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
40-50 but then I've only been smoking a couple of years. The real fun number would be how many has Jim Inks has enjoyed!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wish I knew. It would be fun to have a log of all of them, but I decided early on it wouldn't be fun to keep a log. I'm a moderate smoker, so I use up supplies slowly, but I have whole tins, jars, pouches, and dribs and drabs of about sixty on hand. I'm forever sampling. Forums members have sent me extravagant boxes of baggies of samples. I'd guess about two hundred, but that could be over or under by a lot. The no b.s. answer is, I don't know.

I've tried to keep a log. I'm just not disciplined enough to keep track.

As far as "far and wide". The forum makes this easy. Dunhill blend from Japan, Moztec, Condor... it wasn't really a lot of effort. I just sent a PM and made a Paypal transaction. I need to branch out more. Maybe a trip to Germany to smuggle some Strang.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've only tried maybe 30 blends. And out of them I have liked 3. And out of those 3 I narrowed it down to one.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
This really has me scratching my head. Not enough is the answer but I am not in a rush to change that. If I had to guess I would say in the 50ish range. I have plenty sitting around waiting to try.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
According to SPC's counter, 127, but have only been doing business with them since 2012, and have been smoking a pipe since 1991. Could be close to 250 or higher.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I take the Fifth on this question! In fact, I wish I had a fifth! :D

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Started piping in September 2015 and stuck to OTC blends for a while (about 15 in total) then discovered Mysmokingshop.com which introduced me to Sam Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth plus many others so say another 40 blends.
Then I found this forum and have been buying many American blends, perhaps about 30 in total.
Add on a few samples and that would put the figure at about 100 blends in two years of pipe smoking.
Regards,
Jay.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Deniz: thank you for the very kind words. I am very honored to know my reviews have inspired you. You write very good, honest reviews, and I read every one of them. As for your review count, it'll grow and grow before you know it. If anybody had told me when I started writing reviews that I would have even half as many as I currently do, I would have said it was impossible. You just never know what will happen, so keep at it.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I can say with certainty its more than 150, but I would be willing to bet its over 200. There's been plenty that I haven't cared for, and was very thankful for the small sample I had without having to waste money on a full tin.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've been smoking for almost 16 years, and asking me to remember all the blends I've smoked, although a fair question, is beyond that capacity. 300? 500?

mikeklumpp

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2013
hong kong
I have no idea. I have always been a fan of multiple smokes and have about 45 tins on the shelf here in China. Love sampling small batches and my list of favorites is ever growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.