PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Ok, being new to the hobby, does anyone have a listing of all the blends, and companies that make tins etc., like in a spreadsheet form? I was wanting to get a sheet with all the different ones on it so that I could check each one off as I get to sample it and use it as an inventory sheet, or the family could always look at it and never have to question whether I have it, or they can buy it for me for any occasion.
Thanks

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Here's a good start:

http://www.pipeshowonline.net/McClelland_Home.php

http://www.kohlhase-tobacco.com/site/index.php?id=16

http://www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk/

http://www.samuelgawith.co.uk/disclaimer.asp?PageId=3

http://www.peterstokkebye.com/main.htm

http://www.st-group.com/

http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/

http://www.glpease.com/

http://www.mac-baren.com/TopMenu/Main-2.aspx

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Dude, that is like asking who all the wine makers in the world are. It's impossible to name them all. I suppose you could get a pretty good list though if you just started cataloging all of the blends and blenders offered by all of the internet etailers out there. I have been doing this for close to 15 years and I discover new blends so often that I know that I have not even scratched the surface of ALL that is available.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Nah. I'm not that formulaic. Just keep buyin' n tryin' and whatever you don't like you can sell off to the rest of us. Great thing about tobacco is that one man's trash is another mans treasure.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
That's what I keep trying to find, is someone with years worth of every blend you can think of, and then have them sell me a huge sampler. One could take the Plano tackle box trays that have about 24 seperate compartments in them that would each hold about 3 or 4 bowls full, and then label them. This is a Plano 3700 series box that has 24 compartments

plano3700.gif

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
PipesandCigars alone offers 89 different tinned tobacco brands. You could start by writting those down and start going through the list of blends each offer. Thats about the best I can do because like ohin3 it would probably be overwhelming to even start to attempt to find all of them.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
So do think it would make for a good reference book for pipe smokers, if I compiled every listing on every site I could find with a description of each blend and turn it into a book, that it would sell? Might be fun to do. It might not be too hard to get a list of every pipe shop ( is there a National Pipe Tobacco Retailers Association)????, and then get a list of all of their blends along with all the manufactures of pipe tobacco and their product listings. I could put all the contact information in there too which would be a great reference list for people to order stuff online( web addresses, phone numbers, physical addresses).
Whadda ya think?

daveleitz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
Instead of trying out every single blend, why not attempt to find blends and brands that are highly rated by most pipe smokers?
I spend a lot of time reading tobaccoreviews.com. You can browse tobaccos by rating. Have a look at the 4 star list. Those are most likely to be tobaccos worth trying. The 3 star list is pretty substantial too. As to which blends (and brands) you might want to avoid, check out the 1 star list.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hobie, you've got some really good ideas. An informative pamphlet would be a real asset, and a spreadsheet type format (maybe online) sounds handy. Phil is right though -- it's a daunting task. Dave's approach is, imo, the soundest. TR.com has 3592 blends reviewed and rated already. Further, there's a search tool to help you group blends by various criteria; and it's a good place to start.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I apologize for refering to The Pipe Tobacco Aging, Storage and Cellaring Faq for the 3rd or 4th time in as many days, but it's loaded with info that has been the topic of recent conversations in the forums. I would ordinarily just provide a simple hyperlink, but, sadly, the site in down (again) so I'm forced to quote it. Here is their list of "touchstone" tobaccos, the likes of which is one way to organize all the known tobacco blends.
About this List
The following is a list of what I am calling "tobacco touchstones" - blends that meet some combination of the following criteria:
the blend may be one of the gold standards, or benchmarks, of its style

the blend might be of exceedingly high quality, as apparent in the leaf itself, or by the craftsmanship of the blender

the blend may be an exceedingly unique example for its style

the blend could have a considerable reputation among connoisseurs of the style

the blend might be highly recommended for its accessibility to smokers exploring the style
Note that it's very hard for a tobacco to meet all these criteria, especially both "unique" and "definitive". And so, some amount of subjective evaluation is required. In some cases, a tobacco will make it onto the list on the strength of how well they do in one category, but in general, a blend needs to be strong in several categories to make it onto the list.
A great many excellent blends available today exist outside this list, and a world-class blend's absence is no indictment. Please don't be upset if your personal favorite isn't on the list! Consider how it matches the criteria above before sending me hate mail. :)
The idea behind this list is to give the intermediate pipe smoker a specific and convenient list of blends to try, in order to broaden one's tastes and establish greater common ground with one's fellow pipesmokers.
Notes:
The numbers in parenthesees are mentions in Tobacco Reviews postings, as an attempt to scope how commonly a blend is used as a comparison. These numbers were generated by Googling with the following types of query: BLENDNAME -"browse by rating" -"reviewer detail" -"update blend" -"blend index" -"brand detail" site:tobaccoreviews.com ...This is a bit of an experiment!

Blends presented in italics are not currently being produced, as far as I know.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Straight Virginias
The straight, non-flake, virginia is an ancient and beloved category of tobacco, and it is fitting to begin our list of touchstones with them.

(132) Bulk No. 5100 Red Cake by McClelland

(129) Old Belt Ready Rubbed by W.O. Larsen

(155) Old Gowrie by Charles Rattray

(25) Red Ribbon by McCranie

(50) Virginia No. 1 by Mac Baren

Comment | Printable | Top
Virginia Flakes, Light
In compiling this list, it became clear that a single list for all flakes would swell beyond a manageable size. Here are those of a light-to-medium character.

(61) Bulk No. 2010 Classic Virginia by McClelland

(36) Capstan Medium Navy Cut by Imperial

(41) Cut Virginia Plug by Fribourg & Treyer

(71) Hamborger Veermaster by Dan Tobacco

(107) Light Flake by Dunhill (Murray's) (Changed blending houses to Orlikin 2005; new recipe suspect)

(15) No. 109 Medium Flake by Astley's

(13) Virginia No. 24 by McClelland

Virginia Flakes, Full
...And here are those Virginia flakes of medium-to-full flavor.

(77) Best Brown Flake by Samuel Gawith

(93) Blackwoods Flake by McClelland

(162) Dark Star by McClelland

(233) Full Virginia Flake by Samuel Gawith

(106) Hal O' the Wynd by Charles Rattray

(228) Marlin Flake by Charles Rattray

(30) Red Flake by McCranie

(53) Scottish Flake by Robert McConnell

Virginia/Perique Blends
Perhaps no group of tobaccos has more zealous adherents than the famed Virginia/Perique mixtures. Don your robes, chant the oaths, and join the cult of Vapers...

(102) 633 by Solani

(35) Bayou Morning by Cornell & Diehl

(166) Bulk No. 2015 Virginia Flake by McClelland

(101) Elizabethan Mixture by Dunhill (Murray's) (Changed blending houses to Orlik in 2005; new recipe suspect)

(222) Escudo by A&C Petersen

(193) Haddo's Delight by GL Pease

(42) Luxury Navy Flake by Peter Stokkebye

(64) St. James Woods by McClelland

(190) Three Nuns (original) by Bell's (Unavailable for many years, but legendary!)

Virginia/Burley Blends
It became clear that a single group for Burley would not contain that beloved tobacco's various manifestations. This group pertains to blends in which both burley and virginia tobaccos share center stage.

(111) Brown Flake by Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.

(86) Cumberland by GL Pease

(83) Long Golden Flake by Reiner

(115) Golden Sliced by Orlik Tobacco

(69) University Flake by Peterson

English Blends
The hallmark English tobaccos are the ultimate in civilized tradition. And they're stunningly popular. Look at these numbers!

(61) Commonwealth Mixture by Samuel Gawith

(129) Frog Morton on the Town by McClelland

(182) London Mixture by Dunhill (Murray's) (Changed blending houses to Orlik in 2005; new recipe suspect)

(120) Margate by Esoterica Tobacciana

(423) My Mixture 965 by Dunhill (Murray's) (Changed blending houses to Orlik in 2005; new recipe suspect)

(333) Nightcap by Dunhill (Murray's) (Changed blending houses to Orlik in 2005; new recipe suspect)

(248) Penzance by Esoterica Tobacciana

(196) Renaissance by GL Pease (Unavailable since late 2004)

(64) Standard Mixture Medium by Dunhill (Changed blending houses to Orlik in 2005; new recipe suspect)

Balkan Blends
When Latakia and Oriental share center stage, we are in geography of the Balkans.

(307) 759 by Balkan Sobranie (Unavailable for many years, but legendary!)

(40) Abingdon by GL Pease

(14) Balkan Sasieni by Sasieni

(62) Blackpoint by GL Pease

(41) Bohemian Scandal by GL Pease (Unavailable since late 2004)

(109) Caravan by GL Pease

(79) Charing Cross by GL Pease

(111) Odyssey by GL Pease

Oriental Blends
The spice and fragrance of Oriental tobaccos have the spotlight in these blends. With a few notable exceptions, this isn't a very popular grouping at this moment in history.

(28) Bulk No. 2045 Oriental Mixture by McClelland

(103) Cairo by GL Pease

(25) Campanile by James Fox

(134) Durbar by Dunhill (Murray's) (Changed blending houses to Orlik in 2005; new recipe suspect)

(299) Early Morning Pipe by Dunhill (Murray's) (Changed blending houses to Orlik in 2005; new recipe suspect)

(9) Oriental by Robert McConnell

(13) Oriental No. 14 by McClelland

(9) Oriental No. 40 by Peretti

(221) Squadron Leader by Samuel Gawith

Burley Blends
These modern tobaccos tend to be more creative and sophisticated in their handling of the tobacco than typically seen in years' past.

(150) Barbary Coast by GL Pease

(50) Burley London Blend by Mac Baren

(28) Haunted Bookshop by Cornell & Diehl

(73) Morley's Best by Cornell & Diehl

(124) Navy Flake by Mac Baren

(29) Old Joe Krantz by Cornell & Diehl

Traditional American
This is that style of blend which had its heyday in the United States decades ago, smoked by the fathers and grandfathers of today's American smokers. Generally, these tobaccos are straight-forward, sweet, and nutty.

(44) Barking Dog by House of Windsor

(41) Bourbon Street by House of Windsor

(61) Carter Hall by John Middleton

(100) Edgeworth Slices by Edgeworth (Unavailable since late 2005)

(66) Half & Half by Pinkerton Tobacco

(62) Nut Brown Burley by Pipeworks & Wilke

(151) Prince Albert by John Middleton

(90) Revelation by House of Windsor

Lakeland Style, Unscented
Blends produced in the Lakeland district of England which tend to share a certain flavor profile.

(77) Best Brown Flake by Samuel Gawith

(34) Broken Scotch Cake by Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.

(33) Dark Birdseye by Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.

Lakeland Style, Scented
The unique flavoring style used by tobacco makers in this region sets this group apart from both the unflavored Lakelands and the general "flavored" group, below.

(63) Bob's Chocolate Flake by Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.

(54) Ennerdale Flake by Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.

(60) Rum Flake by Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.

Ropes and Plugs
"Block" tobaccos -- in rope or plug form -- are a class unto themselves. They are colloquially referred to as "nicotine bombs", for reasons which are obvious to anyone who has tried the stronger examples of this group of tobaccos.

(23) Black Irish Twist by Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.

(12) Black XX Rope by Samuel Gawith

(6) Black XXX Rope by Samuel Gawith

(46) Brown Rope No. 4 by Samuel Gawith

(19) Coniston Cut Plug by Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.

(15) Kendal Plug by Samuel Gawith

(7) Sweet Rum Twist by Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.

Flavored Tobaccos
These are tobaccos which have more than a slight topping, ranging from the tastefully flavored to outright saucy.

(88) 1-Q by Lane Limited

(155) 1792 Flake by Samuel Gawith

(30) Autumn Evening by Cornell & Diehl

(138) Blue Note by Dan Tobacco

(33) Cross-Eyed Cricket by Cornell & Diehl

(30) Dark Twist by Mac Baren

(50) Erinmore Flake by Murray Sons & Co.

(225) Frog Morton by McClelland

(41) Royal Yacht by Dunhill (Murray's) (Changed blending houses to Orlikin 2005; new recipe suspect)

(41) St. Bruno Flake by Imperial

(55) Sweet Vanilla Honeydew by Dan Tobacco

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hobie,

Yes. Three thousand, five hundred, and ninety-two individual blends that are covered in 34,849 individual reviews. So impressive that it looks like a typo, I know. Take the link provided above by bootlegbonvivant and check-out TR.com's info bar.
BTW, welcome to the forums boots; looking forward to more helpful posts from you.

daveleitz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
Thanks for that list Cortezattic. I've seen quite a few of those names at TR.com. It shows I have a long way to go before I comprehend all the possible flavor variations in pipe tobacco.
There must be more pipe smokers out there than I would have previously imagined to support such variety. On the other hand, there must not be too many of them living where I do in Lower Alabama.
It's easy to find Captain Black (overpriced), Prince Albert, and Blender's Choice, but there aren't any half way decent tobacco shops nearby. Next time I'm down in Panama City area where my sister lives, maybe I can find a good tobacconist.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I don't think it's possible to comprehend all of those blends, let alone smoke 'em. Kinda like trying to imagine infinity: your head will explode. If someone did set out on a quest to smoke them all, by the time they passed the 1,000th blend, would they really remember the nuances of #57? There was the thread about finding a great Vanilla aromatic, where at least 10 blends were suggested. One could easily spend months really nailing your favorite just in a narrow category like that. Some categories seem to gain fanatical followers, who find all the variety they need within it. VAPers come to mind...
I like hearing about all of the different blends that people smoke around here. I like that a lot of you take the time to review your favorites. I won't try most of 'em, but others I will. I tried FMOTT, Solani 633 and Plumcake based on what I learned from other's experiences, and I've got a "hit list" of blends to try. I'll focus on the blends that sound interesting to me, based on what I know and what I learn around here, and what's gathering dust on the shelves at the tobacconist.
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.