How Long Would This Last You? (Showing Off, Big Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I placed my first order of tobacco on August 29th. This is what I've amassed through trades and orders in two months. Sort of showing off, also curious to know how long this tobacco would last you if you couldn't order any more.
I have a really crappy little shelfthing that's the size of a bedside table. Picked it up at a yard sale early in the summer, turned out to be a good start for storing my tobacco when I found myself with a growing number of jars. I use paper labels on the top of all of my jars because I found that my Sharpie would rub off when I brought jars with me to the local B&M. The big jars also have labels on the sides.

DSC_0036_2_zpsiyykyopc.jpg

Jars of D&R Tobacco that didn't fit in my shelf. They're boxed up in the closet most of the time.

DSC_0048_zps1uiyjyo0.jpg

On top of the shelf is a two-drawer filing cabinet that is perfectly sized to hold four 12-piece flats of 4oz ball jars. Only three in there now... You might notice the lines in the bottom corner of some of the labels on these jars - I mark every jar after I review the tobacco inside.

DSC_0037_zpsycrczzgt.jpg

And here are all of my tins/pouches. The two stacks of round tins are Golden Triangle Perique from P&C, along with a couple from the RO Perique Series. I love Perique, wish I could justify ordering several more sets.

DSC_0047_zpsrnhk4vk2.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's an impressive array of blends to collect in such a short time. As a guess, hat would probably last me 4 - 5 years, maybe longer. I average 1-2 medium sized bowls a day. Used to smoke much more but found that I enjoyed my smoke more when I smoked less of it. Sometimes I go for days or weeks without smoking at all.
Don't be in too much of a rush. Your tastes may change over time.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I smoke maybe 7-8 bowls a week, so roughly an oz. per week. To just smoke what you have in the tins/pouches would take me close to a year and a half. And thats assuming that I keep up the pace through the winter, which I often don't.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Very Nice stash, I could smoke off this for a decade given the rate i smoke. My cellar is smaller than this, but Im comforted by the fact that my rate of cellaring is greater than my usage. Plus I have to be careful about tobacco crossing the border. I have to be thoughtful to paying duty/taxes on incoming goods so it limits me on purchase size. Slow and steady wins the race.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You ain't got notthin' on me! I've been hoarding tobacco since 2010 and this forum doesn't have enough space to hold all the photos I have of my cellar, so I'm not even gonna try and show it off. :nana:

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Very strong start. At this rate you will outpace many other forum members, including myself, & perhaps reach Peck's stash of ~700 pounds.
That would be incredible. Overwhelming, even.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, impressive. I have but a couple of years' supply, and since I am newly returned to pipes - just a few years- I am reluctant to commit to much larger amounts. Now, I may sing a different song after Las Vegas!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
HA! I'll have you know my cellar is two tins strong right now. But it's a sinewy strong, so it's stronger. That stash would last me 6 months, or a little longer. :)

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
You ain't got notthin' on me! I've been hoarding tobacco since 2010 and this forum doesn't have enough space to hold all the photos I have of my cellar, so I'm not even gonna try and show it off. :nana:
Sounds awesome! You should try!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That would last me a long time, as well. Nice selection!
I will put you on the TAD seesaw that I am on:
While I second Sable's advice not to rush... I temper that thought with the threat of pending legislation and the fact that no matter what you do hoard, if you palette changes, you will likely be able to trade your (now aged) hoarded stuff for what you DO like.
TAD away, just remember to pay your mortgage first.
:puffpipe:

storfiskarn52

Lurker
Oct 14, 2016
Sweden
Wow, I would do ANYTHING to have that amount of pipe tobacco. Anything!
I process my own tobacco from unprocessed Virginia leaves, and when I am smoking my own creations I usually smoke up a 33 oz mason jar in 2-3 weeks. This would probably be supplying me for the next decade or so!
I am very envious of you americans with your extremly low tobacco tax and prices. Though I am feeling sorry for you guys with your internets, when I have fiber connection 100 Mbit/s. :D

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I am very envious of you americans with your extremly low tobacco tax and prices. Though I am feeling sorry for you guys with your internets, when I have fiber connection 100 Mbit/s. :D
Well, you can't smoke the internet, can you? :)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sounds awesome! You should try!

Haha.. I was just messin with ya. Look at Peck's stash, now that's a great cellar! I have been cellaring since 2010 and I have enough tobacco to last me several lifetimes but still nowhere near some other forum members cellars. Some folks on here have serious problems, and you my friend are well on your way! Have fun with it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
While I second Sable's advice not to rush...
Best strategy is to try a lot of tins and 2oz bulk, as widely as you can, and keep a little bit in each bag. When you are angsting around for something to smoke, sniff them, and order a lot more of whatever you really miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.