PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2009
I've heard that cellared pipe tobacco will last for 30+ years. I've also heard that it will only last a few years. Which is it? Is it possible for me to smoke the tobacco I have cellared right now fifty years from now and have it still taste fine?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
As soon as I can generate 1.21 gigawatts of electrical power to operate the flux capacitor on the time machine I will let you know.
future460.jpg

Seriously though, I haven't stored tobacco that long and tried it, but from all the different conversations I've heard, I believe that the 30+ years is closer to the truth IF it is well-sealed and actually kept in a cellar or a cellar-type environment.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Pipe tobacco can be stored indefinitely if it is stored under the right conditions. There will be some changes in flavor to the blend, but that is to be expected. Everything changes with age. Sometimes it is a good change and sometimes it is a not so good change.
The things you need to keep make sure of is; an airtight seal, temperature, and light. You want to keep it in a dark place with a temperature that doesn't go above 70-75* F or have constant temperatures changes, and maintain an airtight seal on the container.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
so if I keep myself in a environment thats
The things you need to keep make sure of is; an airtight seal, temperature, and light. You want to keep it in a dark place with a temperature that doesn't go above 70-75* F or have constant temperatures changes, and maintain an airtight seal on the container."
I'll stay young and pretty

jaxz

Lurker
Apr 23, 2009
Why would you wanna store tobacco for 30 years? I know VA's get better with time, but at some point it hits a peak and from there it's all downhill.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Jaxz Said: Why would you wanna store tobacco for 30 years? I know VA's get better with time, but at some point it hits a peak and from there it's all downhill.
I guess the only way to really find out is to try it. I'm just too impatient to try it, lol.

I don't think I could let a blend sit that long. After 1-2 years I am like, "I have to open that to see how it tastes!", lol.

lessechler

Lurker
Jul 10, 2009
VA will age nicely in a hot garage or a cold one for 10 years or so. After that bring them out and enjoy them! L

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
danishpipeguy said: It will last forever! Last Fall I opened up one of two twin 8oz tins of Prince Albert with a tax stamp date from the 30's. I bought the pair at a flea market a few years ago. The blend was still very fresh and not totally dry even after 70+ years! It smoked like a dream!
Wow, that's interesting. Does it taste the same as "new Prince Albert" or different / better?
jaxz said: Why would you wanna store tobacco for 30 years? I know VA's get better with time, but at some point it hits a peak and from there it's all downhill.
Yeah, I know. I'm not sure I could if I tried. I smoke as much as I can right now in the present. Then again, the more tobacco you buy, the harder it is to keep up.
lessechler said: VA will age nicely in a hot garage or a cold one for 10 years or so. After that bring them out and enjoy them! L
Ok, cool then I can relax about a bunch of tobacco sitting in my hot Florida loft. Phew!

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
I have recently bought 60 Tins SG (Commonwealth Mixture, Squadron Leader, Skiff, Navy Flake, Balkan Flake)
I am way further south than guys, about 12 deg above equator, and I have had some MacBaren, Escudo and Dunhill tins rust on me in 3 years.
Climate here is Hot and Humid, its so bad I have to send Camera Lenses to Canon every 2 years for cleaning, I have even had fungus grow on camera sensors.
So I plan to try to use Baccy in about 2 or 3 years.
ps I was Cleaning Up this weekend and found
2 Copes Escudo from Mar 2003 and

1 Dunhill Elizabethan Mix Jan 2000
Tried the Escudo and its nice, will tell you about the Elizabethan when I try it
ps Cleaning Up is code for.
We decided, Wife has her own bed room, I have mine. So now my bed room is set up with just my books, music, tobacco and pipes. I can Smoke there 24/7............Did switch in last 2 days........Still sorting stuff but so far it looks like HEAVEN.
Coffee in the morning in the easy chair with a Briar, listening to BBC World News on the Radio, best way to start the day

Must be getting old, as I prefer a good STRONG LATAKIA in a BIG BEN, to ????? what's that thing I used to do, cant even remember the name. Funny my life seem centered around it just a few years ago.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
See my blog post on Keeping Open Tins Fresh
I wish I was Tobacco, I seem to have been deteriorating and going down hill since I was 30, I probably was not cellared properly

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
It would be nice if Tobacco Manufacturers put a packaging date on thier tins / pouches.
I put a small sticker on the Tins as soon as they arrive in the mail with mm/yy on it.
But who knows how long its been sitting in some shop

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Mate Said: It would be nice if Tobacco Manufacturers put a packaging date on thier tins / pouches.
Some do put dates on their tins. McClelland, GLPease, and C&D all put the month and year on their tins. It does come in handy.
Like you, I wish all of the manufacturers did that.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Seems to me that some of the regulars here like the Samuel Gawith baccy
I have tried 4 of their blends so far (Squadron Leader, Balkan Flake, Skiff & Commonwealth)
I like them all
I was considering buying these in the Bulk Packets 250gm & 1lb
But I read somewhere that some people find the tins superior to the bulk versions
Does anyone have any take on this, if so please share

lessechler

Lurker
Jul 10, 2009
The bulk blends and the tinned blends start out the same so if there is a difference it would no doubt become apparent over time. Tins should have some air in them to age properly, I know this for a fact and Mike from McClelland Tobacco told me this as well. However, inside of a tin there is no light so that may have a positive effect and in some cases the half pound and one pound bags are vacuum sealed. However, in my view it is the fact that the tins contain small batches of tobacco while in the bags the batches are of course much larger. Who can say for sure? Perhaps it is the metal or paper inside the tin or maybe the bag material is just not as conducive to aging. But, in my experience tobac does age better in tins and if you really want to get crazy about it the tins need to be 100g tins rather than 50g tins - but that part could just be in my mind. L

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Dear Lessechler
"This Tobacco thing seems to be such an exact science."
will take your advice and buy tins for aging. Going to order some 100gm McLellands Bombay Court Extra
will stick to bulk for immediate use
Thanks
John

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Mate Said: OK some could be dates, but others have none or a number that does not look like a date.
C&D and G.L. Pease are month/day/year
McClelland has 6 numbers on the tin, the meaning of the numbers are:

First 2 numbers are the blend

Second 2 numbers are the batch

Third 2 numbers are the year
For example; I have a tin of McClelland Royal Cajun Dark. The numbers on the tin are 970106. 97 is the blend which is Royal Cajun Dark, 01 is the batch number, and 06 is the year 2006.
So by putting all the numbers together I have a tin of Royal Cajun Dark from the first batch of 2006.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Mate Said: I was considering buying these in the Bulk Packets 250gm & 1lb
But I read somewhere that some people find the tins superior to the bulk versions
Does anyone have any take on this, if so please share.
Every SG blend in a tin that I have really liked, I have bought in bulk. I have not noticed much if any difference between the tinned and bulk versions. I enjoy the bulk just as much as the tin.
I do agree that tins will probably age better though. I will occasionally buy tins of the blends that I have in bulk so I can age the tins and smoke the bulk. But I have also aged bulk and it has definitely aged well.
I have some SG Full Virginia Flake in bulk that I have jarred up and kept in the dark that is a few years old and it has formed sugar crystals and it tastes amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.