How long does it take you to smoke 16oz?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Hello all, in light of the coming bans, I was hoping you could all weigh in how long it takes you to smoke 1lb (16oz). I am trying to gather information that will help allow me acquire enough tobacco for the next decade or so. I am hoping to cellar enough in the next year and a half, that I can smoke on it for life. Please tell me how many lbs of tobacco you go through in a normal month, as well as how many times you smoke, and additionally how long 16oz (1lb) will typically last you. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
i recon you are looking at about 15 bowls per 50gram tin/2 oz assuming 3 grams per bowl.

So 8 x 15 = 120 bowls.

How many bowls a day x 365 = 1 year

x 10 = decade
Am I close with this? anyone care to comment
i know some here have done the maths

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I appreciate it! Anyone else got some info on this? Before I dive right in off this Intel?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Nobody's banned anything. There's been anti-smoking feeling going on for 50+ years, and cigs are still widely available. Yeah, McClelland is gone, but a lot of that seemed to be due to the fact that the owners were ready to retire. Dunhill got out of the business, and a number of their blends are coming back from STG under the Peterson label.

Chicken Little behavior is more of a problem then anything else, as I see it. :puffy:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
To answer the OPs question, it would take me a very very long time to go through 1lb of tobacco. That's almost 9 50g tins!
As for what Jud says, I think that's just part of the pipe smoking game, cellaring and hoarding. There's always a slight panic aspect, where if you find a blend you like, cellar it deep because it might not be here tomorrow type of thing.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Have you not seen the FDA legislation that goes into effect May of 2020 that effectively bans pretty much every tobacco of every nature (Dip, chew, snuff, Snus, cigars, pipe, cigarettes) that was released after 2007? Unless I’ve read something wrong it’s already been passed and the implementation date has already moved forward almost a whole year.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
First off, I wouldn't buy a pound of the same blend ... I would prefer buying 9 different 50 gr tins. So, since I have never bought a pound of bulk tobacco ever before ... I have no clue how long it would take to smoke one. If I am to think about my rotation, which is mostly 7-8 opened and jarred tins, I guess it takes me 6-8 months to go through that.

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
I think this is misconstrued; the application process to market tobaccos is becoming more comprehensive, especially for flavored tobacco, but I find no "bans" mentioned on the FDA Website

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
It is very likely that I didn’t gather the entire information concerning the legislation, regardless I still would like to stock up on the blends I would rather not live without :mrgreen:

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
If it's a blend I really like a pound will last me around 6 months. Other blends that I like but don't smoke often can last anywhere up to 3 or 4 yrs. I smoke around 7 bowls a day, somedays more.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Let's go with 3g of tobacco per bowl.

17 bowls per 50g tin. (actually 16.66 bowls, 17 close enough)

9 tins per pound.

17 bowls x 9 tins (a pound) = 153 bowls per pound
If a person smokes 1 bowl a day...about 5 months to smoke a pound.
I smoke about 3 bowls a week. For me, 51 weeks per pound.

Depends on the baccy bruh !! Give me Frog Morton Cellar or OTT and it will be gone by the end of the fortnite.
Intense blends like Quiet Nights, around 1-2 years for 16oz. I smoke it in a very small french bent billiard, making the flavors super-intense. Can't smoke it daily or it messes up the oral chemistry.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd say around 10 to 12 bowls per ounce so 160 or so per pound. It obviously depends on how many bowls you smoke per day. I average 5 to 6 per day so I'll smoke around a pound per month.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
shayde

I recommend considering ThePipeTool.com calculator. If you are not already a registered user, creating an account is free. The calculator is a button-selection in the My Cellar section.

For myself, expecting to be able to smoke for another 25 years at an average of 14 bowls/week or 728 bowls/year, I would combust 4.8 pounds per year or 120 pounds over my anticipated lifetime.

By adjusting the calculator variables, you could estimate a minimum & maximum lifetime tobacco incineration as a guide for your cellar-building strategy.

(For example, if I were to only smoke for another 15 years, but averaging 28 bowls/week, I would need 9.6 pounds/year, or 144 pounds total.)
Your mileage will vary.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I estimate I go through a pound in 40 days. So about 9 pounds per annum. I estimate I have 20-25 pounds stored, but am not planning to increase that substantially. I am heading towards good bulk buys for the most part.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Unless I’ve read something wrong it’s already been passed and the implementation date has already moved forward almost a whole year.
Have your read the legislation? Or, are you basing your limited understanding on other people's take on what they've heard or read?
No matter, you're asking the question based on your panic. First you need to figure out if all of your pipes are the same bowl capacity. Will your smoking habits change over time? More daily bowls? Less? Will you be storing your hoard in a fireproof safe? Or will you spread the hoard around lest a catastrophic fire, earthquake, plague of locusts, wipe out your stash? Should that happen have you staked out the location of other smoker's hoards so that you can befriend them and possibly share or, perish the thought, steal the other hoard?
stock up on the blends I would rather not live without
So, worse comes to worse you will opt to kill yourself if you miscalculate? You sir are a dedicated, avid, smoker! :worship:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Haha, like a half a pound a year. But I realize I am an outlier on the low end in that regard. I think the old rule of thumb is something like 10 bowls per oz isn't it? Not accounting for differences in bowl size of course.
Seems with a little arithmetic you could get where you need to be....

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I smoke about a pound per year, but my smoking is pretty flexible; it's a luxury and not a necessity for me. My cellaring goal is to have enough on hand to smoke occasionally for the rest of my life. My worst-case scenario is two bowls per week for 50 years.
To that end, I have about 40 lbs cellared, and will keep adding a little at a time, but I'm not too worried about some tobacco apocalypse, any more than I am about coffee or wine becoming suddenly unavailable. I would miss it, but it wouldn't ruin my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.