How Long Can you store tobacco in Foil Bags?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001-master-small.gif

I'm pretty sure that they would survive the trip to Mars and back.

Carter Hall and PA, will last a very very long time, even if dumped out in the yard. Last Spring, I found a pouch of Carter Hall in my tractor from the previous year, and it smoked great. But, the pouches described in the OP are very different. The foil packets used by Esoterica are designed to be very air tight. That said, I still always jar up my Esoterica products, because I don't wan't to ever open half a pound of anything that has been aged. In my experience with aged blends, they turn to crap very soon after exposed to air. So, I would have to chain smoke an aged pouch of Stonehaven, shortly after opening it. So, screw that. I put them in the small half-pint jars in 2-3oz ratios. That is the amount that I can enjoy, before getting tired of the blend and wanting something else in my rotation. But, the foil was designed for aging, if you want to ever quickly smoke half a pound of an esoterica. I also never buy the 100gram tins for the same reason.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
100g tins go straight to the jars around here. Those little pocket-size ones work great.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Cosmic had shown a bag of estorica he'd gotten at a local B&M that was a good 8 years old and it had aged beautifully. I'm confident in their foil bags.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I acquired some 8 oz containers of Penzance, some 20 years old, before the foil; a double wrap of plastics. Moisture content was over 80% (RH) and it smokes great. YMMV. I'd guess the tightly sealed foil bags are good to Mars and back....

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have seen a couple of people complain that the bags had a tiny pin prick in them. When you get a bag, examine it. If you find no hole (which could happen in shipping, I suppose) and smell no tobacco, you're very likely safe. The Esoterica bags have been known to last more than a decade, keeping the tobacco inside moist.

Oh no, Andy, You must be confusing me with Nate. I do appreciate the shout out though, but I've only ever gotten fresh Esotericas in bags. I have had quite a few old "tins" of Tilbury and Penzance from the Briary though, and a few tins of several Germain's products. But, bags have always been fresh. Nate is the lucky dog scooping up the wonderful aged bags around my neck of the woods.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
That said, I still always jar up my Esoterica products, because I don't wan't to ever open half a pound of anything that has been aged.
This is what I have done. It's always good to get some verification as I'd been pondering it lately.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't think it was nate either, perhaps it was a former forum member, I remember it was peacehaven I believe, the member had picked a bag out of a bunch of estorica at thebriary that had been sitting there along time, and then showed it was a nice really dark flake, whereas the fresh stuff was a light brown.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I keep my Stonehaven bags as is. I examine them and have never seen a pinhole. The bags will be worth so much more money if I die without smoking them all, my kids can fight over them. lol

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sorry to sidetrack us from death (how inevitable! how boring!) but I think the foil bags are pretty good now. Then again, they're B+... A+ is a jar with a nice sealing lid. Why the heck not?
That's my rationale anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.