How likely is Agriculture Bill with Amendment to get through?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Long-Time Lurker here....
So I received this from my Congressman (Idaho) which looked at a piece of legislation today which I had not heard too much about:
"

... I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with me.
As you may know, the Tobacco Control Act gives the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) jurisdiction over cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own-tobacco, smokeless tobacco products, and products that the FDA would deem, by regulation, to be tobacco products. The FDA is currently finalizing regulations for e-cigarettes. The proposed regulation would require all tobacco products that have entered the market since February 15, 2007 to undergo Pre-Market Tobacco Applications (PMTA). The implications of this rule could mean many e-cigarette products would be removed from the market.
On April 19, 2016, the Agriculture Appropriations bill for fiscal year 2017 adopted an amendment with bipartisan support that would change the predicate date for tobacco products from February 15, 2007 to the date of the final FDA deeming regulation. This would allow products currently on the market to continue to be sold without undergoing the PMTA process. I supported this amendment.
I appreciate you letting me know your views and I will continue to keep track of this issue as the Agriculture Appropriations bill moves forward.
Once again, thank you for taking time to contact me with your concerns. ... Etc etc. "
How likely is the Agriculture Appropiations Bill to get through? Any word when this would hit the floor? As the amendment is now on it--I think the Appropriations would be likely to pass? Thoughts?
Anyone who could shed any light?

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
It will be interesting to see what happens. The political winds here in the States seems to be swirling at this time so I find it hard to predict which direction the wind will actually be blowing once things begin to settle out in the new year. Here is hoping they blow the way of the pipe smoker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the content of the bill is less the determinant than the Congress reps backing the bill -- bipartisan with strong GOP participation might have a chance. Let's not get into the political discussion surrounding that, please. Sometimes riders, side issues or unrelated issues, can be added to bills to favor specific groups. Not the best way to do legislation, but pipe smokers could use one of those right now, as it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.