PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thought this was interesting. Had never really given much thought about how our disposable little buddies were made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPt-gwH3SVQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great post!
Can someone tell me how the cotton sticks to the twisted pair of wires? They show the wires being twisted before they get to the cotton strands being brought in.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I always figured the fibers were somehow glued to a single wire. Learn something new as they say!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
OK, so how is the cotton bound to the wire? (Please!)
From .41 to 1.02, the video says that the yarn is intertwined with the wires to keep it from falling out, and then it shows the twisting process to show what the wires look like without the yarn. Hope this helps!

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Cool video. I love 'How it's made" but I guess I've never caught that episode before.
I wonder what extra steps are taken to make the "bristled" pipe cleaners ... :?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, C-E. I missed that the twisted wires were just for illustration. Makes sense that they'd be twisted around the yarn and then knifed to provide the "bristles".
For real bristly brushes, I imagine they put a strand or two of plastic in with the cotton yarn.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
What amazes me is that all that work goes into something that we really don't think about while cleaning our pipes, and yet it's something we have to have to keep our pipes nice and fresh.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
How It's Made is probably the best thing on TV, even if the new lady on voice-over is kind of grating...

Status
Not open for further replies.