PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
A few guys asked how I do it so I made a short vid on how I made the tool and how to use it.

http://youtu.be/O_2zdXHlKCQ
Edit: Fixed your Title Capitalization and the "I"s in your post.

I also moved it to PIPE REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE.

L

Jul 15, 2011
How do you stain the pipes black after you are done? I have a couple of pipes that could really benefit from this type of rustication and it would be cool to try your method for them. Thanks for sharing!

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
PB280006.jpg

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
hand at hard risk of wound my friend pay attention 8O You need a wooden conical small pole to hold the pipe and fix the pole into a vice.The tool seems to be coming from the vietnam war :wink: but seems also to work properly

Maurizio

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
yes you can and i have put a few holes in my hand.putting a dole rod in a vise works.a pipe maker in

Italy showed me how to make it.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Thanks, Buckeye.
I love those two finished pipes you showed.
"Craggy." That's the word. Craggy.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
You can also make your own black stain Mr. Novelist. Pour some vinegar over a piece of steel wool in a container of your choosing, seal that thing up, and leave it for some time (I've read that 12 hours is sufficient) and let that acetic acid eat that thing. I left mine until there was no more steel wool and just rust coloured vinegar but that's because I kind of forgot about it.

Once you have that you're going to need to introduce some tannins to the briar to get it to turn black as that's what this chemical you've created reacts with and briar loses most of it's tannins in the processing. You can get tannin from home brewing stores I hear but I used a strong brew of gunpowder green tea.

Paint the tea on and let it soak in and dry and then paint the other on and you should see results very quickly. I was astonished at how quick it was and just how black. Here's a Grabow freehand I rusticated with a dremel and stained with this very mixture.
IMG_0691.jpg

Really remarkable stuff and probably pretty darn great for high contrast staining since this stain will not bleed.

Status
Not open for further replies.