PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
My first trip to my own blend I'm looking to make a good autumn smoke.

13% perique

25% Latakia

35% red virginia

25% maple

Only concerns Latakia at 25 and the maple at 25 one of these may overpower.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Actually, the only one that I think might be strong is the Perique at 13%. If it is figgy Perique, it should be fine. If it is peppery Perique, it might catch your attention.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Please let us know how she smokes. Sounds pretty sweet with all that maple. I've also heard of guys sweetening a Lat blend with and aro. Good luck on this one!

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I imagine it is Acadian. I think McClelland is the only one selling straight St James to the public. If it turns out too spicy, you can cut it with something like Carter Hall or some Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Essentially what I have is an autumn evening spiced up with perique and smoky with Latakia... Maybe a good breakfast blend maple flavored bacon

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
@shanelktown

By the way what maple do in this blend? flavor or sweet taste?

You have 35% red virginia that should give sweetness in this blend.

Maple can take over natural sweetness from red virginia. What do you think?

Jan 8, 2013
I have only 12 percent latakia in my blend, and it goes a long way. I get more than enough latakia flavor and I'm thinking about toning it down a bit. Only way to find out for sure is to try it. The good news is, if you don't, you can go back to your account at pipesandcigars, click on your blend and it will bring up the page where it's made, allowing you to tweak it. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to hearing about it and how you liked it :)

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
The maple should just be for flavor and yea red virginia should allow for a sweetness and is a good combo with the maple. I'm hoping to add some smokiness and spice to that sweetness. I may tweak this a bit. I should really ask Russ. Because 8oz is a lot of tobacco to use up if I don't like it.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Another option would be to go 6.5% perique and 6.5% of like a burley. I would like the burley for a nutty note but not sure at 6.5% if you'd even notice the burley.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
8oz is a lot of tobacco to use up if I don't like it.
That's why I recommend ordering the blending tobaccos separately.
You can create your own blend AND have blending components left over to add to other blends.
Good luck! :puffy:

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
That's a good idea I messaged a forum member here who oddly enough works at a place I used to always go to for tobacco and pipes years ago. They have a blending bar with over 50 mixing tobaccos so I'll probably stop in there and see what I can come up with.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
They have a blending bar with over 50 mixing tobaccos so I'll probably stop in there and see what I can come up with.
Perfect ... jealous even! :mrgreen:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Maybe a good breakfast blend maple flavored bacon
After reading your original post, I was left thinking about your blend. I like to start the day with a bowl of Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake which is 70% Virginia and 30$ Latakia. It tastes really smokey, but not overboard. So as I was planning my breafast Latakia smoke I started imagining a Sunday morning breafast, Pancakes and Smokey Bacon or Sausages, all drenched in Maple syrup.
I'm sure your blend is going to be a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.